Job related vent

iVillage Member
Job related vent
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 10:46am

I was pretty pissed today at work just about 20 minutes before the end of my shift.. Tried to talk to my mom about it but that didn't really help. All I wanted to do was to vent and all she wanted to do was to tell me what I should have done different. In this moment that just wasn't what I needed or wanted and I ended up getting pissed at her.. ;-) Yup, I'm definitely pregnant..

So I work in a second hand store. A customer comes up with her stuff and her husband pays. He says something about a plastic bag, I can't hear everything he says as he kinda talks under his breath. I ask the wife if they need a plastic bag (they're 20 cents). She says yes and I ring it up normal. As I'm giving the husband his change he starts complaining that I didn't wait for him to get his exact change.. I tell him I didn't hear him say to wait until he was finding more change. He says "No, you just didn't listen"... Whatever.. He complains and swears about a lot of things. Then he realizes that I had charged the 20 cents for the plastic bag and he starts verbally attacking me. I told him I had asked his wife about the plastic bag and she had said yes. I had no way of knowing what his intentions were (apparently he was going to look for an empty plastic bag in his stuff).. He keeps yelling... Meanwhile my boss is standing right next to me and says NOTHING to the guy. He is swearing up a storm, telling me he's never had such a bad experience in customer service EVER before. I mumble under my breath "And I've never seen as rude of a customer".. The second I say this, my boss all of a sudden comes alive and corrects me in front of the mad customer. Great. I was so pissed at the dude and really my boss as well that I was seriously ready to start crying.

I did text my boss later and was pretty straight forward that I would have expected him to step in as the guy was seriously threatning and clearly out of his mind. He was very loud and everyone in the store must have heard him. Now I'm just angry with my boss for how he handled it. He replied to my text saying we'd talk about it tomorrow when I go in.. But that doesn't help me today.. So here I am whining about it to all you guys.. DH is at school so I can't talk to him about it and my mom obviously couldn't handle my vent so that was good for nothing also.

And if someone tells me that that's what customer service is like sometimes, I'll probably scream and pull out my hair. If my boss hadn't been there I would have told the guy to stop yelling while I could still control my anger. I kept thinking he'll step up any minute but no such luck. And In the end I just lost it and blurted whatever I did.. And I could have thought of many way worse things to say but I didn't. Vent over..

S

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:07am

I'm sorry- what a rotten day!  It can be so difficult working in customer service some times.  I hope you are able to have a productive talk with your supervisor today.  Let us know how it goes!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 12:07pm

Yikes!  That guy definitely had issues, and I feel for his wife.  I agree with you that your supervisor shold have stepped in and handled that, it was adusive to you.  I hope your day goes better today!!  

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 2:47pm

I sat down and talked to my boss. His philosophy is that we treat customers as if they're kings no matter how they behave. But he did see my point in expecting him to step in and failing to do so.

In the end it wasn't a big deal really. I told him I'll try to do better and he said in the future he'll know to step in in a situation that seems to be getting too overwhelming. He was very sympathetic and I think we reached a good level of mutual understanding in the case.

It was a bummer but it's all good now. I guess it's good for me to realize also that I'm going to be even more prone to react now than normally. So I need to have a course of action planned out for future idiot-customers.

Cause I'm sure that they're coming. Even though they're thankfully few and far in between.

S

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 11:55am

So glad you feel better, and got closure to the issue.  Hoepfully things will go more smoothly for you in the future!

~Misty~