New Arrivals!

iVillage Member
New Arrivals!
Fri, 08-09-2013 - 12:14pm

Hi ladies,

Who's given birth to their August baby?  Post your both story here so we can share in your joy.  :) 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-17-2013 - 12:48am

I guess I'll go! 

Kaitlyn Elizabeth, born August 8th @ 4:08pm (at exactly 37 weeks!)

6lbs 13oz, 19 1/2 inches long

The stuff leading up to delivery is quite a long story (I put that on my blog...  http://amykookykat.blogspot.com ).  After weeks of preterm labor, and the FOURTH delivery attempt, I came into triage the night before with contractions every 5 minutes or so and dilated to 6cm with a bulging amniotic sac.  Contractions got worse and more frequent (4 every 10 minutes), but they weren't changing my cervix any further, so they were going to send me home (I'd been that far dilated and so on since 34 1/2 weeks).  I was pretty distraught because I had no idea how many times I'd have to come into triage with contractions.  The doctor agreed that it was pretty risky sending me home like that, so she suggested that I stay the night and monitor and they'd check me again in the morning.

Contractions sort of fizzled a little, but since I was 37 weeks that day, they could "help" a little.  The next doctor from the practice came in (my favorite one), checked, and called me a good 7 or 8cm!  He did a quick membrane sweep and that made contractions pick up again!  Around noon, they suggested I get the epidural (if I wanted) and afterwards started pitocin.  Less than 20 minutes later, my water broke!  They checked, and I was still at an 8, so my husband ran off to pick up the kids (the oldest was getting out of school anyway) to bring them back to meet the babysitter for the night. 

While waiting, the doctors confirmed that the baby was head down (which she had been since at least 28 weeks when preterm labor started) and there was some hindwater that hadn't broken so they broke that (weird having your water broken twice?!).  My husband came back with the kids and we said a quick hello.  I kept feeling that more fluid was leaking out, but when the nurse checked there was a huge pool of blood.  So she suggested that my husband take the kids out to wait (just in case).  

At that point, the nurse called all the doctors, they came in and suited up, and I got ready to push!  My husband ran back in (after loading up the kids, and a call to DH hurry up and get back to the delivery room!).  About 3 pushes and she was out!  

The doctor mentioned that the placenta was deteriorating a little, and there was lots of old blood (like I'd been bleeding for a while or something), so it was good she came when she did!  

After all of the stress of being on bedrest, multiple hospital stays for preterm labor, three times preparing to deliver before term...I'm glad everything ended how it did!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-23-2013 - 2:08pm
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl! I'm so glad to hear that everything turned out so well. Welcome to the world, Kaitlyn!

photo snowsiggy.png