Gestational Diabetes and TICKED

iVillage Member
Gestational Diabetes and TICKED
Sat, 06-15-2013 - 10:39pm

So I went to an appointment and had to do the glucose thing. I failed! And I didn't just barely miss, either! My blood glucose was 220 mg/dL.... I BOMBED it. And you know what?? I wasn't even worried. I have no known relative with diabetes. I'm white. Ok, I AM 32, but  I'm 5'5" tall  and my pre-pregnancy weight was 120 pounds... I'm just about 30 weeks pregnant and I've gained about 16 pounds. So at 136, I'm STILL within the normal range for BMI for my height, even if I weren't pregnant! Plus, I exercise 1-2 hours 5-6 times a week. (I don't do so good on the weekends.) I always do Zumba on the Wii for about an hour in the morning and do about an hour of brisk walking (with a tiny bit of jogging- that's getting harder) at night. I do sometimes have a popscicle with my kids, I eat ice cream for dessert a little too often, BUT STILL!! SO WHAT GIVES?? Yeah.... I'm ticked!

And to make matters worse, the appointment was on Tuesday and I was told I would get a call from a nutritionist to make an appointment and a prescription for a blood tester thingy, but no one has called yet. So I'm trying to adjust my diet but I have no idea if it is working. And I sort of feel like the results might be a mistake. I mean, there was no follow up. Just the one-hour test. And they took a blood prick from my finger which I've since read could be inaccurate. But I was told that since my test result was SO BAD there was no need for any more testing. So, gestational diabetes.  And so I'm STILL TICKED! :/

Plus I don't know how to change the little signature thing at the bottom of this post. I actually have 3 kids... #4 on the way.

Skye

Mama to Evelyn (4/16/06)

And soon Mama to someone new... on 6/28/08

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-18-2013 - 8:33pm

That's kinda odd that they didn't have you do follow-up testing (the 3 hour one...yeah, it's super fun) or anything like that!  My first OB with my oldest son would always tell me that the 1 hour is a screening test, and some astronomical number of people (more than half, maybe as high as 70 or 80%?) of woman who fail the 1 hour go on to pass the 3 hour.  Can't say that's always the case, but something to keep in mind.

Anyway, when I had GD with my first (which, I suspect wasn't so gestational at the time...was overweight before pregnancy and had kind of high fasting glucose), when they got the results from the 3 hour they jumped on having me talk to the nutritionist and getting the monitor like the same day.  It was FAST.  You'd think the doctors and so on would do the same in your situation and not leave you hanging!

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much...one popsicle or having ice cream doesn't really cause gestational diabetes...I'm sure it's nothing that you did or didn't do!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers