How do you feel about...

iVillage Member
How do you feel about...
Tue, 12-11-2012 - 12:30pm

... drinking caffeine during pregnancy?

Women can drink a cup of coffee or one soft drink a day during pregnancy and not worry that it might put them at risk of miscarriage or preterm birth, according to new guidelines released by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

The professional group issued the information from its Committee on Obstetric Practice, which reviewed studies on the topic before making a decision.

"Finally, we have good evidence to show that having a cup of coffee a day is fine and it poses no risk to the fetus," said Dr. William H. Barth Jr., chairman of the committee on obstetric practice and chief of the division of maternal-fetal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

They are talking about a reasonably sized cup of coffee or serving of soda, of course.

How do you feel about drinking caffeine during your pregnancy?  Will you be avoiding it completely? Enjoying a cup or two a day? What's your plan?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-15-2012 - 3:18pm

I personally don't have any problem with the little bit of caffeine during pregnancy...but I also figure to each their own.  If I had a history of miscarriage or other problems, I would try to take every variable out of the equation...and that includes caffeine!  

I get my caffeine from a Diet Mountain Dew every morning...mmm...and I try not to have more than 2 cans (@54mg caffeine in each can) per day period even when I'm not pregnant.  If I went cold turkey, I'd be cranky, sleepy and I get dizzy from the withdrawl headaches.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2012 - 8:47pm
With my 1st pregnancy my doctor didn't push cutting out caffeine until the end of the first trimester....this time I would like to cut it out quicker but probably won't cut it out all together....I need that caffeine for my hour drive to work everyday!
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2012 - 11:42pm

I think if you don't drink in excess it is ok but for me I have a higher risk of miscariage and dont want to risk it in the early months.