Question

iVillage Member
Question
Tue, 02-25-2014 - 4:43pm

When my water broke with my son, I was only 2 centimeters. When I arrived at the hospital, they wanted to (and did) give me Pitocin to speed up the contractions and get things moving. I didn't want the Pitocin but I took the fact that they're professionals to heart and let them do it. After almost 5 hours, I had only dilated a half a centimeter. I wound up getting an epidural (another thing I didn't want to do but the pain was excruciating) and when my son's heart rate got all wonky, they took me off the Pitocin. Within a half hour, I had dilated 2 more centimeters. I'm convinced that if they'd let me labor on my own, I would have had a natural birth and a vaginal delivery (I wound up having an EMCS).

My question is this:

Do hospitals have a protocol where they are allowed to give Pitocin as soon as the mother enters? Mind you, I had just gotten hooked up to the IV and my water had broken not even 20 minutes before. Do they really worry about infection to that extent?

iVillage Member
In reply to: ACDCjunkie
Tue, 03-18-2014 - 7:00pm

With my son who is now 4, my OB told me that if my water broke, I should check the color. If it was pinkish or clear, I was fine. Anything green, brown, or black I needed to go to the ER right away. She told me if the fluid was clear to wait 12 hours to see if contractions started. I wasn't to insert anything into my vagina. I could take a shower, but to avoid using a washcloth in my vaginal area. If 12 hours went by and nothing happened I should go to the hospital. She said she wanted the baby born within 24-30 hours of the water breaking.

I don't think hospitals nesecarily have a "rule". I think it is more the doctor. When I went to the hospital with all three of my kids births, they called my doctor to see what they wanted done. They are trying to avoid infection, but pitocin like that seems a little bit of a rush.

Amie, wife to Ryan, mom to Tyler (10/98), Morgan (11/00), Alex (2/10), and baby #4 due 8/14

iVillage Member
In reply to: ACDCjunkie
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 3:47pm

See that's what I thought too. But they didn't wait. I was admitted by 3:30 am and they had the IV in before 4:00. I'm in a different city now so thankfully they'll actually listen to me here.

~A.C