Cloth diapers

iVillage Member
Cloth diapers
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 7:34am

Hi ladies!

Even though I'm a BTDT mom, I'm considering doing cloth diapers this time around(and now that I've started looking, am confused) I was wondering if anyone could give advice on the topic-Is it managable? Comfy for baby? What brands do you like? Is it cost effective...As I was looking at the price(and chemicals) of disposables last night I had an "ah ha" moment about using cloth. Thanks everyone!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 8:06am
Just visiting from the Nov EC board. I have used cloth pretty much exclusively for both of my kids and plan on the same for this one. I found them to be extremely easy (it took me longer to change a disposable, lol) and the laundry was mostly a non-issue. The only change I made from my first dd to my second was that I used disposables at night because I wasn't willing to get up every 2-3 hours to change her and make sure her bum was dry - this prevented the perma rash that my oldest had. Definitely cost effective - I mostly use prefolds (flats that you wrap yourself and then put on a cover) and total costs for cloth was probably less than 500 and that included a dozen or so all-in-ones for daycare use. This is a link to the place that I bought my diapers but I am sure you can find this info anywhere - it is their cloth diapering 101 c/w common questions and concerns. http://www.nurtured.ca/Cloth-Diapering-101_ep_40.html
If you are interested I would recommend going to a local store to see/touch/feel the options before ordering online. There are also several threads on this topic on the Nov EC and also on the Oct EC boards if you want to crash in. Good luck!
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 9:25am
I've done cloth with my last two and now I'll be doing it again. I like pocket diapers, but everyone is different. I'd say get a sampler pack or a "lot" off of diaperswappers and find out what you like. We're mostly Bumkins and BumGenius (acquired second hand and as presents from my IL's) but I still have some fitteds and wool covers that I love :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 4:52pm

i'm in the same boat BTDT but first time to cloth diaper. i did some searching and found http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/ they've got pix of the way the different sizes fit on different babies and answer lots of questions and the prices seem to be really competitive. i don't need to register for much but i do want the green mountain newborn kit. if we're still using disposables for outings and maybe over night that kit should hold us out for a while and it's only like $100. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 7:13pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one new to cloth! I started looking and was instantly confused...But I found a couple of sites that explain all the different options so I'm a liitle clearer. I do like the idea of pocket diapers and I think we've settled on the Charlie Bananas. They have good reviews and are really cute...

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:56pm

DH and I are going to do cloth diapers. I'm still learning about them and I'm still kind of confused! haha I started a topic about them a couple months ago and some people gave some good advice/links.

http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/December-2012-Expecting-Club/Cloth-Diapers/m-p/119337503/message-uid/119337503#U119337503

Good luck!! :smileyhappy: