BTDT Momma's What Surprised You Most About Labour?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
BTDT Momma's What Surprised You Most About Labour?
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 3:12pm

What surprised you the most about labour? Was it what you thought? Is there something that you hope will go different this time? Any advice you'd give to our first time momma's?

iVillage Member

This was very encouraging, thank you. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 8:53am

What surprised you the most about labour?

I was surprised how easy and quickly it started. My water never broke on its own but I woke up in the early morning hours and realized I was having contractions every 4 minutes. That continued for 4 hours then stopped for 3 hours, during which time I had a huge rush of energy and cleaned the bathrooms, painted my nails, and showered, lol. Then they started up again and off to the hospital we went. I think that really helped reduce the time I spent in the hospital "Laboring", we arrive @ 430 pm and had our son at 1130. 

Was it what you thought?

Pretty much, when the doc broke my water it was quite uncomfortable and felt like I had peed myself. I remember when the doc came in and told me it was time to push my husband laughed because he said I looked at him like, "wait, I relaly have to push this baby out, like in the movies?". I'll admit I was nervous about pushing but it really does come naturally and my doc, nurses, and hubby were fantastic. I only pushed for about 30 minutes and then our handsome boy was here!

Is there something that you hope will go different this time?

I hope I do not have to use any pain medication prior to receiving my epidural. I am very sensitive to all RX pain medication and I become very ill and throw up constantly for hours after taking anything. They gave me a shot of something several hours before my epidural because the doc broke my water early in the labor process and the contractions became so intense so quickly my heart rate and blood pressure were sky rocketing and affecting son's heart rate. We tried a drug that would be safe for baby and hopefully not cause me to get sick but I was sicker than a dog :smileytongue:

Any advice you'd give to our first time momma's?

Trust your instincts, relax, and don't forget your phone charger! My poor husband was fielding and making so many calls during and after delivery his phone barely held on! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 2:26pm

What surprised you the most about labour?

With my first, I was surprised by how it just went on and on and on. I was 4 cm dialated for two weeks before labor started. Get into labor and then hours and hours, things start picking up, it hurts bad, a few more hours, get to the hospital, only 4 cm. I started crying. It wasn't long after that I was being pressured into pitocin and then got the epidural. Early labor was no joke and it really does take hours and hours and hours.

With my second, I was suprised by how fast it went. Five hours, start to finish, three pushes, done. Thus, how she was born in the car on the way, lol.

Was it what you thought?

Yeah, pretty much. Pain, more pain. I was not happy with anyone telling me what to do. It spiked my fear cycle, and thus more pain, so the 2nd baby was much easier in that regard.

Is there something that you hope will go different this time?

It will all be different this time. I hope the homebirth is *exactly* like Ayla's labor, but after, I can just snuggle in my bed instead of being at a hospital.

Any advice you'd give to our first time momma's?

Your body will give you very clear signals, if you can learn quickly enough. If you get "crawl out of your skin" pain, where being in your body is too much, it means to get up and change position, sway, move, something. And when baby moves to the better spot and your body is better positioned, the pain will go back to normal horrible. (this was hard for me to do with my 1st because that was when I was told I had to lay on my left side, waiting for the epidural, pitocin kicking in. I really couldn't even describe the intensity of the pain. It went on for a good 15 minutes straight. With my second, I just got up, moved, and it lessened. It only happened twice with my 2nd labor and only for 1 contraction each time.)

Don't take anyone you're not comfortable with. If you think you're going to need to "fight for what you want," they don't need to be there. It's the birth of your child, not a spectator sport.

Nurses are NOT doulas. The nurse is there to monitor you and the baby, to follow the hospital rules, to have a safe baby and a safe mama. Most won't press on your back or give encouragement for more than a minute, they won't offer water or remind you that it'll hurt less if you empty your bladder. A doula is there for YOU the whole time. The nurses have plenty enough to do without wiping the sweat from your forehead. That's been my experience, anyway.

Photobucket