Fainting?

iVillage Member
Fainting?
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 5:46pm

Is anyone dealing with fainting or almost passing out? I have been in the mornings. :smileysad: Yesterday my DH and I were on our way to the vet (we got a new, adorable kitten) and while we were on the 440, I started feeling like I was going to faint. It kept getting worse and finally I told him to pull over and call 911. All my vision went away and it was the scariest thing EVER! I came out of it pretty quickly. I am ok now and I called my midwife about it. I got some eating tips that might help with that in the morning but she said I'm already eating and doing everything I'm supposed to. I naturally have low blood pressure. . .last time I had an appointment it was 96/58 I think. So that might have something to do with it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever dealt with this in pregnancy? My DH was almost in tears. . .it really scared both of us!

iVillage Member
In reply to: LauraBeth85
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 8:06pm
I have had a lot of dizzy spells that I never remember from my previous pregnancies. I know that low BP will do it and especially while your pregnant because your blood supply also increases. From everything I have read it is a fairly normal side effect. I do think that eating frequently may help(making sure that you get a good mix of both protein and complex carbs), also sitting down with your head between your knees when you start feeling dizzy, staying well hydrated and possibly having your blood sugar checked?
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 8:08pm

i naturally have low bloodpressure too so yea i've had some episodes near to passing out also (pregant and not pregnant) i don't know that i have any advice though getting some protien seems to help sometimes. it can be scary but hey at least you don't have to worry about Preeclampsia.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 10:10pm

I've been tested for anemia and low blood sugar I believe, but my levels have been normal so far. I'm going to request they check again at my next appointment though. When I fainted in the car I put my head between my knees, that seemed to help. It's just really scary! I guess it's good to know I'm not alone, although I don't want other people to experience it!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 10:11pm

That's so true! I was thinking the same thing. . .b/c preeclampsia is scary! Praise God for that.