Has anyone else had Ketones in their pee?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Has anyone else had Ketones in their pee?
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 7:33pm

I am just wondering if any of you ladies have had Ketones in your urine in this pregnancy or any others? The first time I was in the hospital I had protien and ketones in my urine. They said that normally they'd be concerned about this meaning I might have pre-e, but my blood pressure was pretty constant at 86/60. This second time I only had ketones. I've read on-line that you can have ketones in your urine when you have GD, but I've never had sugars in my urine the nurse really stressed that.

I have lost weight during pregnancy as of yesterday at the hospital it was about 12lbs. I had started to gain, but I've been so sick lately I've lost weight again. Maybe this is the source? Any info would be awesome...thanks ladies.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 3:43pm

I did today.

My midwife is super relaxed, but said I should increase my (non sugar loaded, read=not ocean spray) cranberry juice intake to help flush things out a bit. I think it's because I ate like crap the last couple of days.

I read my own urine stick...she just holds the container that has the key on it and tells me if something is "off" and what it means.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 3:00pm
I jinxed myself...pee test on Monday's appointment! Lol
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 3:40pm

Awwwww! haha I hate when you walk out of the bathroom with your pee and then BAM! There are like several people right there! It's a little awkward. haha

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:09pm

I'm not alone!! haha I always wondered if I should be doing it every time. . .but I think my midwife is very relaxed about that kind of stuff and will only test it if there is a concern. This is what I'm assuming at least! lol

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 2:08pm
Same for me Laura Beth, no pee tests since 8 weeks! Weird, I've always heard its at every appointment???
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 7:42pm

I haven't had experience with this. . .in fact the only time I was required to pee in a cup was at my first appointment at 7 weeks. All of my friends/family had to pee in a cup every time they went to the doctor during pregnancy. So I'm sorry I'm of no help but I hope you are able to get it figured out!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 9:58pm

Popping over from the Nov EC. I had ketones show up on my initial workup, but my OB didn't say anything about it.

I was concerned about it anyway and consulted Dr. Google. From what I understand ketones show up when your body is using fat for energy. I lost weight during the first trimester due to lack of appetite. So if you've been losing weight this pregnancy, it could definitely be a factor. I'm not sure if I'm still spilling ketones or not (I've started to put on the pounds), but since my doctor wasn't worried about it I'm a little less apprehensive. Definitely something you want to bring up at your next appointment, especially if you're spilling large amounts. Good luck!

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12