Insurance question

iVillage Member
Insurance question
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 2:12pm
Just wondering if anyone is having a difficult time figuring out medical insurance timelines for baby? We aren't sure if we should add him/her to mine or my husband's plan, and when will coverage kick in because don't they do a one or two week appointment? My plan will cost us $400 a month but no deductible, DH's $300 a month but $1000 deductible. I have an HMO, he has a PPO...so confusing. Plus I'm not sure if my insurance will stay active while I'm on maternity leave? Any info or advice?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 3:50pm
The baby is usually always covered for the first month under the mothers insurance. My children are under their fathers insurance and they have a family plan so it doesn't cost anything to add on another child. They have blue cross blue shield. Um even though my son was covered under mines, he was also covered under his fathers right away because they were notified ahead of time and they gave him time to get the paper work in because the birth certificated was needed.

If your under fmla leave then they can't mess with your health insurance. Where I work if your gone for more then three weeks UNPAID then it cuts off ur insurance. I take paid fmla so my insurance is never bothered, but either way they still have to cover the baby for a month. Usually insurance will cut off at the end of the month if it isn't paid by the employer.