Pain Relief During Childbirth

iVillage Member
Pain Relief During Childbirth
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 10:03am
When you're pregnant, it seems like everyone has an opinion about pain relief during childbirth, making it hard to decide whether it's the right choice for you. About 61 percent of women who have a vaginal birth choose to have epidural pain relief, according to a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Whether you're positive you want an epidural -- or just want to be prepared in case you change your mind during delivery (it happens!), here's what you need to know.

Epidurals 101: Everything You Need to Know About Pain Relief During Childbirth-  http://www.ivillage.com/what-epidural-childbirth-pain-relief-101/6-b-478004#ixzz24qjC292M

Have you thought about what kind of pain relief (if any) you'll want during childbirth? What's your plan?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 5:27pm
After two babies, I've learned that there is really no need to have a set plan. AN IDEA of what u want is fine, but things usually never goes the way you want. My body rejects the epi so Im screwed anyway lol

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 7:39pm

I am hoping/praying for a natural childbirth. It is what I have always dreamed of! Having said that, I do have some fears that I won't be able to manage the pain because I have a low pain tolerance. When I tell people I want to have a natural birth, I often get laughs or disbelief. It hurts my feelings because I feel like people don't believe in me. I know with the right mindset and supportive people I'll be able to do it though. I really would love to have a doula. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 7:51pm
It's amazing what our bodies can do and I believe than anyone can have a natural birth-That said, I believe some birth experiences can be made better with epiderals(or other forms of pain relief). My first two were inductions so my contractions were stronger, faster. The epideral has never worked well for me. As a matter of fact with my last I kept thinking, "is this thing in right?" lol because I never really got relief and delivered only about an hour after I got it anyway. This time I'd like to try a natural birth, take a childbirth class-maybe Bradley. And I would like to have a Doula also! But I am prepared and willing when it comes to meds.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:50pm

I remember being the first time mom wanting a natural birth and all the sarcasm from the family/co-workers and comments from the nurses. It sucked. It was hurtful. It was mean.

I ended up with pitocin and an epidural, but it was amazing anyway because I got to watch my son crown in the mirror. But I felt defeated, deflated, and just let down about the whole thing. I wasn't having failure to progress...I was having "nurses coming in freaking me out, hollering at me to get off the birth ball" syndrome. Luckily, my body did what it needed to and I avoided a C-section. *shrug*

With my second, I wanted a waterbirth at the hospital with a midwife that I *loved*. I had her in the back seat of the car and it don't get much more "natural" than that :smileywink: I remember some of the contractions being horrible and then in the middle I would think "but I'm doing it! I'm f***ing doing it!" and then I'd get through it and move on. It was empowering and awesome and I wish every woman that wanted a natural birth would be able to. It's not possible, but I still wish it...

This time, I'm planning a homebirth, so that's an automatic "no" to the pain meds. I'm completely fine with it and kind of excited...not for the pain, but for being able to labor and birth without random people that I don't know walking in and out, doing cervical checks, telling me to lay down when I want to stand up. I know it's gonna hurt like a m'er f'er and that's okay. I pray for a safe, healthy baby and mama and the rest will just be what it is.

I would say, plan for the kind of birth you want and don't beat yourself up too much if you don't get it. If you plan on trying without meds, wait until the last possible minute to go to the hospital because as soon as you check in, you're on their clock and playing by their rules. The last thing a woman in pain and in labor wants to do is try to fight for something she wants (no meds) or put up with snark ("oh, those 'natural birth' women always yell the loudest for the epidural.") Labor at home as long as you can.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:16pm

i've had 4 babies and 4 epi's and i can say that mostly it has been a great experience. i haven't had any weird side or after effects from any of them and with the third and forth birth the babies were breach and had to be externally turned so i am glad that they numbed me before that. but with the last one i was so numb i couldn't feel my feet. i had no idea when it was time to push other than them telling me and when i did push it was just sense memory and instinct.

I am kind of disappointed that i've never felt a real contraction. coming in at a scheduled time, getting the epi, and then having my water broken and starting the drip is convienient (and i was already at least 4cms dilated to begin with each time) but after 4 births i still have no idea what it's like to actually go into labor. I want that experience this time. I'd like the chance to labor at home for a while.

we shall see how it goes.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:12pm

Thanks for the encouragement. :smileyhappy: I'm taking childbirth classes at Vanderbilt [where I'm having Eli] and they start this Tuesday the 4th! I'm really excited! I hope they really go into relaxation/breathing techniques for pain management.

iVillage Member
Re: Pain Relief During Childbirth
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 6:05pm

I've looked into hypnobirthing! I would love to have a doula as well but I don't think that's going to happen because of financial reasons. Good luck. . .I hope you get the natural birth you desire! :smileyhappy: