24 week appt not so uneventful

iVillage Member
24 week appt not so uneventful
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 1:19pm

well i told the doc that i had had a few contrax yesterday and so since i have a history of pre-term labor symptoms in my other pregnancies he went ahead and gave me the fetal fibronectin test and checked my cervix. My cervix is closed and thick so that's great! but the test came back positive which could indicate that i might possibly go into preterm labor. if it was negative there would be no chance at all of preterm labor. but the positive gives them reason to be cautious. so today and tomorrow i'm off my feet and i have to go back and see him again on thursday. Oh and i also have a yeast infection so i'm on meds for that. and he gave me the bottle of gluecose so i'll have that the morning of my 28 week appt. if i make it that far because i've been told that if i have anymore contrax today i'm supposed to call him in his office. but he's not in the office on wednesdays so i'd have to call the hospital if i have any contrax tomorrow. :smileyfrustrated: 

I'm not really that worried because i've been through this before with the boys. I'm just happy to hear that my cervix is still thinck and closed. personally i think for me that's a better indicator. but i'm going to try to be a good girl and keep my feet up even though it's laundry day and i have 4 crazyboys to take care of. DH is home for lunch so i don't have to stand up to cook the mac&cheese and the big boys are going to haul around the laundry baskets for me.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 5:42pm
I'm sorry about the little bit of a scare but it's good that your cervix hasn't thinned out at all. Try to take it easy and make good use of those strapping young boys you have. I'll be thinking about you and let us know how your appt goes on Thurs!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 7:17pm

thanks girls! i've decided to take advantage of the sitting around with my feet up thing. and while i've been sitting around i did a little research on the fetal fibronectin test. found a great article about it on the March of Dimes website: http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pretermlabor_fetalfibronectin.html 

i didn't realize that the fibronectin that the test checks for is naturally occuring until 22weeks. so who knows maybe it was really to early for them to do the test since i'm just over 24weeks and some of the stuff was still hanging around. I also wonder if the yeast infection has something to do with the positive result. I seem to remember suffering from the same thing when i had gotten postive results with the boys. but i'm going to try to be good and stay off my feet for a couple days anyway. I was still able to get the laundry folded with the boys running the baskets back and forth for me. just hoping i'm cleared to go out this weekend because there's a ladies' pizza and movie night at church on friday and a friend of mine is having a pinterest party at her house on saturday.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 7:19pm

Oh and i forgot to even say. Aravis is still mesuring great! She was moving all over the place when the nurse was trying to find her heartbeat which was good and strong when they finally tracked her down.

and i can't remember that they said anything about cervix length in the ultrasound must have been okay if they didn't mention it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:33pm

Ugh I am so sorry! Praise God your cervix is closed and thick still. . .I think that would be a really good sign! I'm glad Aravis is still measuring good, too. :smileyhappy: It sounds like you are doing your best to relax and not work too much. . .that is so important! Please keep us updated. . .DH and I will be praying for you. <3