GD test

iVillage Member
GD test
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 1:05am
Last week I took the 1 hr test and the numbers were a little high. So, yesterday I went in for the 3 hr. It was horrible. That first hr I thought I was going to ouke and/or pass out. I felt awful. Well, the nurse called today to tell me that some of the numbers are high- the draw at 1 hr and 2 hrs were high,but the fasting number and the 3 hr numbers were fine. I have no idea what any of this means besides I am being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have to check my numbers 4 times a day and follow a special diet... I take a class with a dietician next week and I have to see a high risk ob now, too. I am really overwhelmed and feel like I don't know what to do. She told me to go buy a meter, but now I have no idea how to use it or what the numbers mean- or what I am supposed to do when they are high. And besides avoiding sugar, I have no idea what I can eat now. I know I will learn more with the appmts, but I feel lost for now. I made the appmt with the dietician, but they are giving me the run around at the perinatology office. I am feeling pretty upset with myself and my body right now- this pregnancy is so different from my others. And I am nervous about what this means for labor... Having to be continually monitored/hooked up to machines will make it hard to have a drug free labor. Plus I read gd babies are bigger, too.
I am hoping a good nights sleep will help because I have been in full-on freak out mode today.
I just keep reminding myself that all of this stress etc is worth it in the end. I will do what I have to to keep this little guy healthy.
Phew, thanks for letting me ramble!
Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to: michaelamommy
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 8:41am
I'm really sorry...I know that this changes your plans for the rest of your pregnancy but try to stay positive. While it may seem overwhelming, GD is very manageable with no guarantee of a bigger than usual baby. My advice on eating until you see your dietician-Try to avoid eating anything out of a box. Try to get any sugar from natural sources-i.e fruit and veggies. Eat lots of protein and stay away from white breads, rice, and pasta. I have read the best bread to maintain blood sugar is pumpernickle because it doesn't cause sugar spikes(it's like a slow release of sugar). If you get a monitor, your pharmacist can show you how to use it and give you pointers on what to do if it's high or low. If you're concerned about your birth plan, consider hiring a doula or taking a childbirth class where the teacher has some education on this topic.If it's not in your budget, there are probably numerous message boards with BTDT moms who can give you great info. Feeling more knowledgeable and having support will help you feel more empowered. Most importantly-stay calm and be positive! Modern medicine has caught something that could've been dangerous to you and baby and now you've been put in control of the situation. We're all here for you!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 12:59am
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am a little calmer about it all. =)
I have been testing all weekend (4x a day), and I'm within the doctor's numbers for all except one test (I had a little dessert- now I know how it affects my numbers!). I have been mostly staying away from sugar (esp now that I know how much it affects me), so I have been pretty good. And I know it's a healthy way to eat anyways, so I will just hang in there. I have a friend who had GD with her 3rd baby, and she swears that she bounced back to her pre-preg weight much quicker after the baby was born because of how healthy she ate during pregnancy. So, that's definitely a plus. :smileywink:
I still don't know what to do if my number is too high, but I am sure I will learn more on Tuesday at the class I have to take- I think it's with a dietician. And I will talk to my doctor(s) about how this might affect labor. My worry is that I will have to be hooked up to a bunch of machines during labor which will hinder my hopes for a natural childbirth. I have a fabulous doula that I will call soon about her helping me during labor. She helped me a ton during labor with my second daughter. With an uncomplicated pregnancy we were able to stay home for a long time during labor and only went to the hospital during the later stages of labor. I just wonder if I can still manage drug free with some extra obstacles in the way.
Ultimately, I want a healthy baby, so I will do what it takes. If they want me hooked up to machines, fine. If they want strapped to the darn bed, great. If I need an epidural because I can't move around or do my relaxation exercizes during labor, so be it. If I need a c-section, do it. Whatever is the best route a healthy baby. I have been thrown for a big loop, but I will just try to make the best of it. I won't miss the finger pricks, though. Yowza! =)
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:00am

I am so sorry. :smileysad: I know that overwhelming feeling. . .that's exactly how I felt when I found out they were diagnosing me with GD. I just cried when I read the email that my sugar was 210! I am also very nervous about what labor is going to be like for me too, as I am trying to go the natural route as well. I know a few people that had GD and their babies were of normal size and they had vaginal deliveries, so that's encouraging. How is it checking your sugar? I am so freaked out about needles so I'm really not looking forward to that at all. I'm supposed to have an appointment with an endocrinologist and a nutritionist on Wednesday morning, however, I just got a call today that my insurance hasn't approved (or something?) the referral for the endocrinologist. So I will probably be rescheduled for next week. It's frustrating because I keep feeling faint and want to get in ASAP. Did you ever find out what to do if your sugar is too high? I started eating mostly protein for breakfast instead of carbs like cereal, and that has helped me a little bit. Let us know what you find out from your appointment on Tuesday!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:47am
Checking blood sugar isn't too bad. Once you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy. I don't love it, but it's do-able. =)
For high blood sugar, your mw will give you a number that's too high and she'll have you call you. If it's just moderately high, it gives you an indication that whatever you ate before had too many carbs, so it's more of a learning tool.
And protein in the morning is good. The nurse I talked to said that they don't suggest fruit or juice at all during breakfast or morning snack. I have an egg, some toast, and a glass of milk. I can get you more detailed info, if you want it, but I'm guessing you are going to get some good info from the nutritionist today. Hope it goes well!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 5:25pm

I was slightly elevated after the fasting/1hr test

My midwife put me on the Brewer Pregnancy Diet. Here's a link http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id96.html

Mostly, I'm to cut out the sweets, which I've waaaaay overdone :smileysad:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: LauraBeth85
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:18pm

That's good to know. I'm sure I will get used to it but dang, that fear really gets to me! haha If you could get me any information I would gladly accept it! My appointment got rescheduled for next week because my insurance hasn't approved my referral to the endocrinologist yet. I really need to get in because I feel so faint every day but it's taking forever. I just want to know how/what/when to eat. I've looked online so that has helped me a little. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:05am
Oh no, LauraBeth! Sorry your appmt was delayed. That wait is a killer. I really hope your insurance figures this out soon! I am having a problem getting into the high risk ob, but that problem is between receptionists/nurses sending the right info. =/

I will scan some of the pages from my booklet. Do you have an email address I can send them to?
You are already eating pretty healthy, so just make sure you are cutting out processed sugar (which you probably already have), and make sure you get enough protein. Am I remembering correctly that you are vegetarian? Vegan? The dietician will probably tailor a plan to you.
A recipe website the nurse gave me was dlife.com. I haven't checked it out yet, but it sounds interesting.
Are you testing yet? You can check with your mw to see what numbers she wants you to have. Testing has really helped me see how what I eat affects my blood sugar. It's been a big learning experience for me.
Anyways, sorry for rambling!
Hang in there!
iVillage Member
In reply to: LauraBeth85
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:15pm

That would be awesome!! You are so sweet and I really appreciate it. :smileyhappy: My email is laurablack629@gmail.com Yes I am a vegetarian. Thanks for the website as well!!

I'm not testing yet. . .I don't even know how to or what I would buy. My midwife's office hasn't contacted me once about anything which kind of makes me feel bad. I've had to contact them about my appointments. They didn't even let me know my appointment was cancelled yesterday! Thankfully someone from the endocrinologist's office called me and told me not to come. But anyways, thanks for your help. You are an angel!!