Gestational Diabetes Test

iVillage Member
Gestational Diabetes Test
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 4:19pm

Yesterday morning I had my gestational diabetes test. My morning started off pretty bad with DH getting a ticket for us having expired plates. We found out the morning before when he got pulled over for it and the officer was super nice and just told him to get it taken care of. (We totally didn't realize they were expired)!  Well, we had all the papers and proof in our car to get it fixed right after my appointment, but we got pulled over AGAIN and I guess this officer didn't care. Anyways it got worse after getting to my midwife's office. I fasted so when I got there I was really nauseous and felt a little faint. The nurses made me eat crackers and said it wouldn't mess up my results. So I had my appointment, drank the nasty orange drink, and went back to the waiting room with DH. It was really hot in the room and I started to feel really bad so I went outside and paced up and down the parking lot for most of the hour. I came back in a little early and I felt like I was going to faint. I told one of the nurses and she told me to lay down in one of the rooms. She came back with some wet towels and put them all over my body and brought in a fan. She then drew my blood for the test, and right as she was doing it I told her I was definitely going to pass out right then as I started to lose my vision. The most I remember is her yelling for the head nurse and me losing my vision and not hearing anyone and her putting ammonia under my nose. I started to come out of it but I still couldn't see and it was so terrifying. :smileysad: Everyone was so nice to me though. Anyways, we got some lunch, took care of the car issue, then went home. Then last night I got a message from my midwife saying that my blood sugar was 210!!!! She told me I have gestational diabetes and that I need to meet with the endocrinologist at Vanderbilt. I messaged her back immediately but I'm still waiting to hear back from her again. I was so devastated when I found out my sugar was that high. I eat really healthy and take good care of myself, and no one in my family has diabetes or has ever had gestational diabetes. I was just kind of shocked I guess, and scared. At least I now understand why I get the fainting feeling an hour after I eat breakfast. It's so weird that I only have this problem in the mornings though. . .and it's not every morning. Anyways, that's the update for now. I'll update more when I hear back from my midwife and get an appointment with the endocrinologist. As bummed as  I am, I know God's going to take care of me and Eli, and we'll be fine. I'm trusting in that. :smileyhappy: And on a positive note, Eli's heartbeat sounded great, he's head down apparently, and I'm measuring perfectly still. Praise God for that!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 9:27pm

I'm so sorry that you're day was so stressful. I assume you got pulled over by metro? They aren' t the most empathetic. Try not to worry too much about your results-They do the test so that they can help you manage it. It's not the end of the world and it is gestational. It will probably resolve at the end of your pregnancy. They will probably do the three hour anyway. And you may find that is more of a sensitivity than diabetes. I had to do the three hour with my last because I failed the one hour too. My three hour came back normal. The good news is that Eli is doing well! That matters most. Vanderbilt is great and you'll be well taken care of!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 12:45am
Yikes! What a day! I admire your positive thinking, though. I'm sure everything is going to be fine. It just means a little diet modification and monitoring your blood sugar. You caught it now, which is really good.

I "failed" my GD test last week, so I have to go next week for the 3 hour. Fingers crossed for a better result. But, if not, we'll be in the same boat and can commiserate together. =)
I hope to the appmt with the endocrinologist goes well!!
Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:04pm

Thanks girl. I think it was metro. For some reason I don't think I'm doing the three hour test. . .they are just assuming I have gestational diabetes because my sugar was so high. I'm so glad I'm with Vanderbilt because I always hear how awesome they are! I know we really will be taken care of. :smileyhappy: And yes, I'm so thankful Eli is healthy. . .praise God for that! :smileyvery-happy:

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:07pm

Awww thanks. I try really hard to be positive. . .DH and I always try to name positive things about any stressful or bad situation we are in to try to focus on the good things. :smileyhappy: I really hope you pass the 3 hour test! I will pray you do. Please let us know how it goes!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:15pm

Thank you Shannon. Yeah it was scary! I still don't know when I'm going to see the endocrinologist. . .the midwife's receptionist hasn't called me yet about it. I think I will give her a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything today. In a way I finally have a little relief as to why I am fainting or always feeling faint, so that's good. I was just super bummed when I found out because I feel like I did something wrong. But I know it's not my fault, I eat super healthy. . .my body just has an issue with sugar! haha I will pray you pass your 2 hour test!! Please let us know how it goes.

And yes, thank God I will still be able to have my midwife! That was one of the first questions I asked her. She was so sweet and said her and the whole office would be upset if I had to go under someone elses care. As long as my blood sugar is managed, I can go up to 41 weeks like anyone else before she considers me late, and I can still have a vaginal birth. I was worried about my chances of an induction and c-section now that I am dealing with this. . .but she reassured me and made me feel a lot better. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 1:18am
Oh, I'm sorry for the stressful day and the diagnosis :-( Is there a way to request the three hour test just to make sure? I'm sure everything will be fine, it just stinks to have one extra thing to worry about. I'll be keeping you and little Eli in my thoughts and prayers :-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 5:31pm

Thank you so much for caring and for your thoughts and prayers. <3 We really appreciate it! They won't do the three hour test because they just assume I have gestational diabetes. I found out today that my appointment with the endocrinologist is set for Friday September 26th at 9:15 am. I get to speak with a nutritionist too. I'm nervous but I'm really looking forward to getting this fainting thing under control. I missed my childbirth class last night and a test today in one of my classes at school because of it. No fun. . .but hopefully things will get a lot better once this appointment happens! :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:05am

Thanks girl! <3 Yeah, hopefully the food plan won't be too bad. I was supposed to see the endocrinologist and nutritionisht on Wednesday, but for some reason my insurance hasn't approved the referral for the endocrinologist yet. I guess they are going to reschedule me for next week. . .I just don't want to feel like I'm going to faint anymore after I eat!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:42am
I had my appmt with the diabetes nurse yesterday, and it went really well. She gave me a meter and supplies and showed me how to use everything. And she went over the diet which is really simple and easy to follow. I thought I had to avoid carbs (which is what I have been doing since friday), but it's all about the type of carbs, when, and what you pair them with. I hope your appmt today goes well and that you feel better about everything after getting some info.
Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:15pm

I'm so glad things went well! I didn't end up having my appointment today because my insurance hasn't accepted my referral for the endocrinologist yet! I was so upset. :smileysad: I'm rescheduled for next Thursday, October 4th at 9 a.m. I'm really hoping my insurance approves the referral by then because I really need this appointment. I'm going to call them tomorrow.