Horrible morning (all day) sickness

iVillage Member
Horrible morning (all day) sickness
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 10:24am

<p>Hi everyone. I am currently 6 wks 5 days pregnant. I started having nausea last Wednesday. I haven't really been able to eat or drink much because everytime I think about food I start to dry heave. I called my doctor on Monday and she called me in Zofran which worked like a charm on Tuesday but Wednesday I woke up with debilitating nausea again. I ate a plain biscuit, a kiwi and a very small apple yesterday and drank about 12 oz of water and that's all I could get down. I dry heaved basically all night and haven't eaten anything since about 3pm yesterday. I have managed to keep down a few swallows of Gatorade this morning. I have tried phenegran and unisom/b6 at night, nothing touches the nausea and dry heaving. My question is should I go to the ER or keep trying to deal with it? I've only lost about 3 lbs which I've read is normal during the 1st trimester. I don't want to harm the baby or myself but I don't want to go to the ER for nothing either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 12:58pm

Oh my goodness, you poor thing!  I think one of the biggest concerns is staying hydrated and it doesn't sound like you are keeping much down at all.  Instead of heading to the ER, could your doctor fit you in to be seen today?  Better safe than sorry for sure, so I'd call regardless and let them know what's going on.  If they are super concerned, they'll either fit you into the schedule or recommend you go to the ER to be checked out.  Hang in there and please let us know how you are doing.  Gentle (((HUGS))).

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-20-2013 - 8:02pm

Have you ever heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperemesis_gravidarum? I hadnt either until a friend of mine had it while pregnant. This could be the case. If not, other than the nausea meds, try sea bands. I got a pair @ Wal-Mart for $9. Also at babies'r'us they have suckers that are supposed to help with morning sickness. I hope you can find a cure and also stay hydrated!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-25-2013 - 12:42pm

I'm sorry that you are going through this.  Lemon drops have always helped me!  I hope you are feeling better soon.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-02-2013 - 9:36am

I'm so sorry you're experiencing such bad sickness!  It sounds a lot like my first pregnancy.  A couple things that helped then, and are helping me now, are frozen fruit and popsicles.  They help with my gaggies and sometimes help me feel good enough to eat something more solid.  You may have some luck at the ER... my sister spent a lot of her pregnancy there, with extreme morning sickness... they usually gave her an IV with some stronger Zofran and it helped her a lot.  Good luck!  I hope you find something that helps, and that it ends soon!  I know how miserable it is to spend your entire pregnancy sick.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers