3 hour glucose test

iVillage Member
3 hour glucose test
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:19am

I had to do the 3 hour glucose test this week. I did the 1 hour test last week and just barely failed it. They wanted me to test around 20 weeks due to my weight just to be safe. Here is the email they sent me the next day. 

This message is to inform you that your three-hour glucose tolerance test result is normal.
This test is considered normal if three out of the four results are within normal limits.
Your fasting glucose result was: 95; it needed to be below 95.
Your 1-hr glucose result was: 144; it needed to be below 180.
Your 2-hr glucose result was: 144; it needed to be below 155.
Your 3-hr glucose result was: 93; it needed to be below 140.
No further glucose testing is required at this time.
If you have any questions regarding this result please call the OB clinic and ask to speak with one of the nurses

So I passed it. That is usually what happens. I just barely fail the 1 hour then go on to pass the 3 hour. I will have to do this all over again in about 2 months when everybody else does it. I am going to ask to NOT to the 1 hour test again. I know full well I am going to fail it by only a couple of points. I always do. So let's just skip ahead and save me the time and frustration. I just want to do the 3 hour and get it over with. Oh well for now the good news is I can once again prove to them that despite my weight I am actually pretty healthy. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:15pm
Yay for passing! I've never gone through this and now after hearing everyone talk about it, I'm less than excited! I just hope we can all make it through it and be healthy! I understand why they're making you do it again, but that is really sucky to have to go through it all a second time. I agree and for sure ask to do the 3 hour and skip the hour one!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 4:22pm
Glad you passed Amy! I couldn't imagine having to do the glucose twice. And I have to agree about the burning, it gives me the WORST heartburn. I've never been given the lemon lime option. I've always had the orange aka the flat sunkist soda... LOL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 1:00pm
I would have to agree with your midwife. Starving a pregnant woman is evil. Making her ingest that much sugar at any time is evil. Doing the two together is just horrible! LOL Ya for the jelly beans! I always get the lemon lime drink which really isn't that bad. Some people must really struggle with it though because they always look so concerned and ask constantly if I am doing ok. Other then it burning a little from the high sugar content as it goes down I am fine. LOL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 12:20pm

Glad you got some good news! I gave to take mine in a few weeks even though my midwife doesn't like them. She said anytime you starve a pregnant woman for 12+ hours and then give her the most sugary beverage you can conjure up, she's bound to have a spike in blood sugar.  The good news is, I get to eat jellybeans instead of drink the orange stuff :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:47am
I'm glad you passed! I barely failed both when I was pregnant with my son, and even though I was able to control the GD through diet alone, it was a big stressor. I practically jumped for joy when I passed the 1-hour this time!