Advice on Cloth Diper types

iVillage Member
Advice on Cloth Diper types
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 2:25pm

I was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations on types of cloth diapers.  I'm getting to a point where I need to start buying and I'm confused as to which brand or which type is good.  I've tried to get advice online but trust you girls more!  Does anyone have a brand that is outstanding or do you recommend the pocket type etc.  I know some have disposable liners for travel, but I'm not sure which ones.  I'm just a little confused and it's all new.  I just don't want to spend a ton and end up not liking that brand. Help please!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 2:30pm

Check and see if there is a diaper service in your area.  I have 1 friend who used one and she loved it.  I ended up using bumgenius diapers with my kids - they cost like $15 each if I remember and I also bought a sprayer that attached to the toilet to spray away the poop.  But when travelling I ended up with disposable so I didn't have to pack the poop and travel home with them!  But with kids you are doing laundry all the time anyhow, so cloth diapers are a great choice and will cut down your footprint!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 7:49am

Dina,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Diapering topic here on iVillage. If you are in need of some more advice and/or suggestions, that is a great place to visit.  The ladies there have a ton of experience to share and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!

Diapering- http://www.ivillage.com/forums/forum/20241

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 11:36am
Thanks Kristy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 12:10pm

I was told that picking a favorite cloth diaper is like picking a favorite pair of jeans.. Every baby's body type is different so the diapers will work differently for every baby, so be sure to start with a bunch of different brands at first and see what works best for your baby.  The nice thing about cloth diapers that I've found is that you can easily sell them online, even used, and get a huge return on them.  That being said, these are the brands I'm starting out with based on recommendations from other moms.

Grovia all in ones and hybrid diapers... The hybrids are a diaper shell with mesh on the inside and you can put cloth or disposable insert on the inside. The lady who own the baby boutique that I shop at said that these are her all-time favorite diapers. 

Fuzzibuns pocket diapers- I've only bought one so far, but I really like it. It's trim and the elastic around the legs and waist adjust, so you can customize the fit a lot better than other diapers. Other moms have told me that these are better for the day, but may leak at night.

Bumgenius elemental all in one- It's organic cotton on the inside and seems to be the favorite diaper for a lot of people I've talked to. It's bulkier than the Fuzzibuns, but apparently they hardly ever leak and are great for night time. Bumgenius also has a hybrid diaper (Flip) that I'm going to try. It basically works the same as the Grovia hybrid diaper with the disposable and cloth inserts.

I'm going to try a few fitted diapers with covers (like Kissaluvs) and stock up on some pre-fold diapers for when I'm low on the other diapers, just because they're pretty cheap and easier to use now with the Snappis.

So, I think I'm going to stock up on 12 or 13 diapers at first and then see which ones work for her.  Good luck!