Amnio for over 35 moms

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Registered: 12-31-1969
Amnio for over 35 moms
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:17am

Hi to all,

I was just wondering how many mothers over 35 have decided to have an amnio performed to rule out genetic disorders. I'm very torn about having this test performed as it seems like the risk factors for miscarriage are high. How important is this to you? Also, if this is not your first baby and you are older, have you had this performed before without any complications? So far I am opting to have the 2 genetic blood screenings performed and hope that they are accurate enough.

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-27-2012
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 7:48pm

 I am expecting my second child and will be 35 at the time of delivery. When we did the first trimester screening the results came back with an increased liklihood of Downs (due to low PAPP-A). My doctor wasn't too worried and thought it was probably due to my age but sent me for genetic counseling at a fetal medicine specialist clinic. They wanted me to do a CVS but my OB had said she wasn't comfortable with them. We scheduled an amnio for several weeks down the line (as I wasn't quite pregnant enough yet). They also mentioned that they had just started offering the blood test but that it was so new they really didn't have much experience with it. Initially I was more worried about the possibility of having a DS child then I was about the possibility of having a miscarriage due to the amnio.I felt I had to know so I could be prepared.

However over the course of the next two weeks waiting for the amnio apt my husband and I ended up changing our minds on the situation.  We became more concerned about the amnio especially as I am a SAHM with a rowdy 2 year old. We cancelled the amnio and I went ahead and had the new blood test (MaterniT21). It cost about $500 (even with insurance) and took about a week to get the results back.

Thankfully my results came back negative. Given the newness of the test I know it's not as accurate as CVS or an amnio but it was significantly less invasive which is why I went with it.

I'm excited by the idea that by the time my daughter is of child bearing age tests like this will be the norm rather then the confusing probabilities we are currently given after the first trimester screening.

Whatever you do hopefully you have a healthy and happy pregnancy!


iVillage Member
Registered: 11-23-2006
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 7:56am

There is a new blood screening out now that can find the baby's dna by a regular blood draw on the mother. The results are 95% accurate. My OB was telling me about it and offered it to me but my insurance won't cover it. I think it is neat that they are coming out with new ways of screening. And I think it can be done very early(like 8 weeks).


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-04-2007
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 3:52pm

The sequential screening is standard procedure for someone with my risk factors (including being 35) at my clinic. That being said, if it shows a very low probability of genetic abnormalities, we probably will not proceed with the amnio. However, if there does seem to be a moderate to significant probability of something we feel we need to prepare for, we may opt for it.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-20-2010
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 4:16pm

My take on this subject is a bit different so here it goes: This is my 2nd child & I've been over 35 with both.  With my son I had the NT scan & the blood work-up, when that came back as a 1:20 chance of Downs I opted for an early (at 14 weeks instead of 16 wks) amnio.  I was nervous, but the procedure went smoothly and I had zero negative side effects.  The results came back in 3 days (they can 'fish' the results for you to get them back early rather than wait the entire 10 days or so), and when I got the all-clear on genetic issues with him I was able to sit back, relax & enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.  This time I opted to skip the screening, since I got what I considered to be a false positive the last time I wasn't about to put myself through that stress again.  This time I went for a CVS test at 11 weeks.  The risks with both an amnio & CVS are the same ... between 1/2 and 1 percent chance of miscarriage.  Again, everything turned out ok (healthy baby girl this time) and I had no side effects.

Now here is my reasoning behind accepting the risks and taking the genetic testing ... a dear friend of mine had the NT screening/blood work and received a pretty low probabilty of genetic issues (I think it was like 1:400 or something like that).  They took that to mean that their baby was healthy & went on through the pregnancy without thinking about it further.  When their son was born he had MAJOR problems from the moment of birth and the doctors weren't prepared.  They suspected Downs but had to wait several days for test results to come back, and meanwhile they had to work to repair problems with the baby's intestinal tract and other issues that I can't remember at this time.  After hearing all the trauma that they went through, my friend told me that if they had it to do all over again, they would have gone with an amnio (she was over 35), because then they would have had those months to mentally prepare themselves AND their doctors would have been prepared for any complications that are associated with babies born with Downs.  So when I heard a risk of less than 1% to my baby, but a pretty high possibility that he had Downs, I decided that I HAD to know ... for HIS sake as much as for mine.  And that carried over to this pregnancy as well.

This is a very personal choice, and one that only you & your DH can make together.  I would just suggest that you do your homework on the procedure, talk to a genetic counselor (in my area they will do a consult with you to go over everything before doing the procedure), and just do what feels right to you.


Lilypie Maternity tickers
Avatar for dani20002000
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-16-2000
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 1:22pm

I am 42 y/o and this is my 4th pregnancy but first past age 35.  I have never had an amnio in the past.  I am opting for the sequential screen which is a combination of blood work and an the NT ultrasound screen. Hoping these results will be enough.  I guess I will take it from there once I have the results.  My u/s is scheduled for 8/21.  I will be 12 weeks 2 days at that point.  I had blood drawn a few weeks ago but they will draw additional bloodwork during the 16th week for this test as well for the results of the complete test.

 BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-05-2006
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 12:18pm

I am a lurker from the Oct EC board. I am 37 and would NOT consider an amnio as a routine screening. The risk of miscarriage is way to high (in my opinion) to even consider it. I did have the NT scan and blood work which was enough for me. I would suggest having the NT scan first before een considering an amnio.

I think the doctors like to scare women over 35 which is ridiculous. This is my first baby and I had to resort to IVF so there was no way that I would put baby at risk. It just makes me mad that a doctor would even bring it up if the only reason was age.

Of course, it is your decision. Good luck with your pregnancy.