Anyone Stroller Shopping Yet?

iVillage Member
Anyone Stroller Shopping Yet?
Thu, 10-25-2012 - 2:38pm
Buying a new stroller doesn't have to feel as overwhelming as buying a new car. We've put the newest infant strollers to the test -- with each model evaluated by an expert and then road-tested by parents. Here are the best rated baby strollers of 2012 so you can find the one that's right for your family. Read More http://www.ivillage.com/best-infant-strollers-2011/6-b-347309#ixzz26jlhnzOX

Have you purchased a stroller for this child yet?  If so, what did you buy?  If not, is there a brand/model you are leaning towards?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 9:11am

I'll jump onto this because a few weeks ago I was stroller shopping/researching and practically had a meltdown due to all the choices and options.  I think my biggest issue is that I'm looking for too much from one stroller.  I made a list of things that are important/not important to me in a stroller (besides the obvious safety, child comfort, etc.):

1) Large sun canopy for baby - keep that baby skin beautiful!

2) Portability - I live off of an older suburban road that is busy during rush hours, in disrepair, and has no shoulder or sidewwalk.  I would very likely be driving baby and stroller to local trails/paths for exercise.  Taking a stroller in and out of my car easily is important.

3) Jog option - I'm not sure if I will actually jog with the stroller or not.  I do run, but I wouldn't consider myself "avid".  Still, it would be nice to have the option in case I wanted to add some intensity to a walk.

4) Works well on many terrains - I could see taking this stroller on paved roads, dirt roads, grassy fields, forest trails, beach paths.

5) Infant car seat compatible - For this first summer, I imagine I will need to lock the infant car seat into the stroller for infant support.

6) Size - obviously the more compact and efficient the better, but I don't mind having something a little on the larger side to meet my requirements above.  I know this could be cumbersome in cities or shopping, but we might go to an actual "city" (Boston) 3-4 times a year and I can't see taking the little one on many shopping excursions.  That's what Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, and Aunts are for!

7. On-stroller storage - It's not important to me to have tons of storage because again, I really don't see myself going on major shopping hauls with our baby boy.  I'd like to have room for the critical items: diaper changing materials, my keys/wallet/phone, water bottle.

So, based on this, I am leaning toward the Baby Jogger Summit XC - does anyone have experience with this stroller?  There are no stores in my area that carry a floor model so I have yet to see it in person and really try it out.  It looks like it fits most of my criteria AND is a little less $$ than the BOB.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 11:41am

My in-laws bought us the Chicco travel system and I love it. I've already used the stroller portion of it with my two year old niece who loves to take walks with me around my neighborhood, and it seems to really handle well.  The only thing I'm bummed about is it's not a jogging stroller... I would LOVE to get a BOB jogger, but it's just too expensive for right now. My friend was given one after her twins were born, and that thing is amazing. It's easy to get in and out of her car and you can trudge across any kind of terrain easily (which is really important in Montana).  I think we'll probably save up for a double jogger for when the next baby comes. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 10:39pm

I actually have two strollers for my son ... a Graco travel system stroller that I keep in my car for running errands & everyday use (not that I use it everyday anymore now that he's big enough to sit in a shopping cart, but still), and a Jeep jogging stroller that I use when we take walks/jogs around the neighborhood or when we go to our Stroller Strides classes (if any of you have these in your area I would encourage you to check them out, it's great fun, a good workout & incorporates your LO which makes it handy as well!).  I like that my jogger has the option to lock the front wheel, for when you're jogging, or to leave it unlocked to walk & steer it better.  But now I'm going to have to get rid of those in order to get a double stroller.  I'll probably get a double travel system type (front/back, not side by side) at first & to be honest I think I'm going to get one off of Craigslist so that I don't have to spend a ton of money.  And when she gets a little bigger I might look into a double jogger & just sell my other one.  And I'm with you girls ... I'd love to get a BOB, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one.  :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers