Baby Food

iVillage Member
Baby Food
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 8:14pm

Anyone else make their own baby food? I did with my youngest DS and it saved so much money. I would cook the veggies, puree them and fill up ice cube trays with the puree. Then I'd put the ice tray into a gallon size ziploc and freeze it. When I needed it, I'd pop out a few of the cubes and nuke them for a second and they were ready to go! I plan on doing it again but I was curious if anyone else did it, or plans on doing it, and if you have a different method or any advice to share!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mandi_poo
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:08pm

I started making baby food with Gracie. I used a tiny food processor but it was kinda a pain in the ass so this time I will be either getting the Bebea Baby cook or the Baby bullett. The Bebea actually steams the food for you and then will blend it up. 

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:37pm

I made all of Luke's baby food.  I got a Baby Bullet & would puree up just about anything & my little guy would gobble it down.  On the few occasions that I bought baby food, he would turn his nose up at it.  I loved being able to make food that I knew exactly what was in it.  And I was able to add spices & stuff so that it wasn't so bland, which is probably why he never liked store bought stuff.  I would cook up a bunch of food every few days & put it in 4 oz jars (I asked my friends to save their baby food jars for me) and then just stick it in the fridge.  When he got a little older I would take whatever we were having for dinner (it made me very aware of how I cooked & kind of turned me in to a healthy cooking fanatic) and blend it up in the bullet.  He was probably one of the only 10 month olds eating grilled salmon & Brussels sprouts!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to: duchessdina
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 11:03pm
I really want to try it. I'll probably make in bulk and freeze it. That way I have things ready when DH is doing supper. He won't take the time to make it himself. I like the ide of knowing what's in everything my baby eats.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 9:47am
I have a Magic Bullet and that's what I use. I never had an issue with it. Hopefully I wont this time around either.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 11:13am

I'm actually really looking forward to doing this!  My friend make some YUMMY food for her twins a few years ago, so I'm going to hit her up for some recipes. I remember she made a carrot soup mix with fresh carrots, heavy cream, butter and something else. I tried it and it was delicious.. Her boys gobbled it down much faster than store bought food.  My mom has a vita-mix that steams food as it's being purreed, so I might see if I can borrow that when I start making food.