Baby Food

iVillage Member
Baby Food
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 8:14pm

Anyone else make their own baby food? I did with my youngest DS and it saved so much money. I would cook the veggies, puree them and fill up ice cube trays with the puree. Then I'd put the ice tray into a gallon size ziploc and freeze it. When I needed it, I'd pop out a few of the cubes and nuke them for a second and they were ready to go! I plan on doing it again but I was curious if anyone else did it, or plans on doing it, and if you have a different method or any advice to share!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mandi_poo
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 11:13am

I'm actually really looking forward to doing this!  My friend make some YUMMY food for her twins a few years ago, so I'm going to hit her up for some recipes. I remember she made a carrot soup mix with fresh carrots, heavy cream, butter and something else. I tried it and it was delicious.. Her boys gobbled it down much faster than store bought food.  My mom has a vita-mix that steams food as it's being purreed, so I might see if I can borrow that when I start making food.  

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 9:47am
I have a Magic Bullet and that's what I use. I never had an issue with it. Hopefully I wont this time around either.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: duchessdina
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 11:03pm
I really want to try it. I'll probably make in bulk and freeze it. That way I have things ready when DH is doing supper. He won't take the time to make it himself. I like the ide of knowing what's in everything my baby eats.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:37pm

I made all of Luke's baby food.  I got a Baby Bullet & would puree up just about anything & my little guy would gobble it down.  On the few occasions that I bought baby food, he would turn his nose up at it.  I loved being able to make food that I knew exactly what was in it.  And I was able to add spices & stuff so that it wasn't so bland, which is probably why he never liked store bought stuff.  I would cook up a bunch of food every few days & put it in 4 oz jars (I asked my friends to save their baby food jars for me) and then just stick it in the fridge.  When he got a little older I would take whatever we were having for dinner (it made me very aware of how I cooked & kind of turned me in to a healthy cooking fanatic) and blend it up in the bullet.  He was probably one of the only 10 month olds eating grilled salmon & Brussels sprouts!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:08pm

I started making baby food with Gracie. I used a tiny food processor but it was kinda a pain in the ass so this time I will be either getting the Bebea Baby cook or the Baby bullett. The Bebea actually steams the food for you and then will blend it up. 

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby