Bedrest @ 18wks!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Bedrest @ 18wks!
Mon, 09-03-2012 - 1:14am
So to start, I am a salaried mgr at a restaurant, meaning 45hrs/wk...mostly on my feet... Ive had 2 prior pregnancies, both with preterm labor starting around 28wks, delivered #1 @ 38wks, #2 @ 36wks. This pregnancy has been extra tough due to the long hours and horrible morning sickness. After my 9hr shift this thursday I started having braxton hicks contractions, they carried on for an hour and began to hurt... At that point I became concerned and went into the ER. Bad experience there! I stayed 5hrs and all they did was check babys HR. They attempted to admit me, I threw a fit over that- with no tests/ultrasounds/labs done, I felt there was no reason. Plus my 2 kids were with my mom, daddy was working. I was released and scheduled for a cervical length ultrasound with my OB friday. After the ultrasound/appt it was determined my cervix has shortened! I'm super upset, unsure even what to think still- I'm only 18wks along! After discussing our options, we decided to do a modified bed rest plan, weekly progesterone injections, weekly ultrasounds, and very close monitoring by my OB. It seems like a lot- but the thought of having a preemie worries me, I'm willing to do what it takes! Anyone else ever try the progesterone injections as a "preterm labor prevention?" Or know anyone it worked for? I'm so curious to hear anyones stories that can relate! Bedrest at 18wks is soooo early! Thanks ladies :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 7:27am
Personally, I'm all about the "whatever works, works" method. Different things work for different people. I always say that as long as you aren't ignoring the things that are proven to work and are ignoring the things that are proven to cause harm, a patient's best course of action is do whatever they feel comfortable with. If it's not causing harm, the worst it can do is not help, and the best it can do is help a lot, right?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:52am
Wow that's awesome! I had no idea hypnosis was that effective!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:43am

This is SUPER exciting! It's amazing what our bodies are capable of. Keep on cookin' in there, little one!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:26pm
Whatever works. Keep it up!

Photobucket