Bleeding and sex.....

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Bleeding and sex.....
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 8:07am

I have never had this happen with either of my pregnancies before so it kind of freaked me out a bit. After being intimate  I had quite a bit of bright red blood down there!!!! It's not like we were doing anything out of the ordinary, needless to say I am completely afraid of doing it again and told my DH I was off limits (not sure if that was too extreme or I'm being paranoid for nothing).

Has anyone else experienced bleeding after sex before? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 11:21am

Yep... I have.  It was pretty early on, I think 4 w 3 d or something like that, and I actually spotted the day after. It sent me into a panic and I met with my midwife. She said it was pretty common since your cervix is sensitive and has twice the amount of blood flowing to it.  It still scared the crap out of me.  She put me on pelvic rest for my whole first trimester, so my husband was a bit peeved about that. Honestly though, I didn't mind.  Seeing blood everytime we DTD would have made me have anxiety attack after anxiety attack.  Plus, I have zero libido (thanks, hormones) so I don't feel like I'm missing much right now :smileywink:.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 11:22am
I have not but I have heard it is pretty common. The cervix is sensitive and just kind of a picky little brat. When is your next appointment? If it is close maybe put off sex until then so you can talk to your doctor. They can at least reassure you it is fine to continue to have sex or let you know if there is anything you should be concerned about.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:15pm
I have had it with all my pregnancies. More then likely you just aggravated your cervix. This can happen at any stage of pregnancy. Just mention it to your midwife at your next appointment and they will probably recommend pelvic rest just to be sure you don't aggravate it To much
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 10:09am

I am 14 weeks 5 days and am currently going through this. DH and I had sex yesterday morning. Within an hour or so I coughed and felt something gush (sorry if TMI). Went to the bathroom and had bright red blood. It was almost like a light period but no clots. I went to my OB yesterday. They did an ultrasound and everything was fine. They said they saw no reason for concern. Baby had a strong heartbeat and moving like crazy. Cervix was good length. They didn't see any bleeding around the placenta. I am still spotting some this morning but it is nowhere near as bad as yesterday. They just told me to rest and let them know if I start cramping or it gets worse. Hope you get some answers soon and everything is ok. Hang in there.