Cautious about weight gain

iVillage Member
Cautious about weight gain
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 11:12am

Is anyone else a little worried about weight gain already?  Maybe it's just because I'm a little self conscious because I started out at a little higher weight than normal when we found out we were pg.  I haven't really gained all that much yet, but now that I'm in the 2nd trimester I know the real weight gain is going to get started and I'm just worried about putting on too much weight and I know that it can make things harder and lead to more complications.  I've never been small but I worked really hard to lose weight when I got out of highschool and into my college years.  I just think I'm worried that I'll gain all this weight and you really can't diet to try to lose it once it's there. Just wondering if this was on anyone else's mind.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 7:56pm
I was obsessed with weighing myself every morning. A few weeks into my pregnancy the battery died in my scale and I decided that was the perfect time to stop weighing myself. Best choice I ever made... LOL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 5:54pm

I'm bad about stepping on the scale first thing in the morning too & I have got to stop that little habit!  At first all I did was lose weight, I actually went down 10 lbs, but the first lb crept back on this past week & I had to stop myself from crying & remind myself that I'm supposed to be gaining weight!  LOL!  I'm a bit neurotic these days about everything, and my weight is just another thing for me to obsess over.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 1:32pm
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about this. I just think I need to stop weighing myself as well! It's too easy to step on the scale in the morning when I get up! I'm hoping later on in the pg I will just stop wanting to even know what I'm gaining!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 11:02am

This probably doesn't make you feel better but it makes me feel better to read that some of you have gained 10 and 18 pounds.  Due to my refusal to weigh myself, I don't know what I have gained but if I had to guess, I would put myself in that 10-18 zone.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 10:58am

I am and I'm not... I know that doesn't make much sense.  I guess I just figure this is my last pregnancy for sure, DH is getting a vasectomy in November, so what will be will be.  I haven't weighed myself once and I even told the doctor's office that I don't want to know what I weigh and not to tell me.  I close my eyes during weigh-ins.  I know, extreme, right? 

I'm trying to make more of an effort to eat fruits and veggies, and this baby seems to be somewhat of a healthnut because I am completely turned off coffee, alcohol (I have some NA beer but no interest in it), soda, most sweets - I have no cravings for ice cream or cake or cookies, almost seem to be anti-chocolate for the first time in my life!  (This baby does like McDonalds though so it can't be too much of a healthnut.)   But on the other hand, the nausea has been at its worst ever and isn't gone yet and if I go too long without eating, I am heaving.  I have almost exactly 20 minutes from when I wake up in the morning to get food into my stomach or I am dry heaving.  I snack on saltines all the time because of the nausea - when this baby is born I don't think I'll ever want to see another saltine again.

I had put on a little bit of weight right before I got pregnant - I have a 10 pound yo-yo zone and I was at the top of the zone - and I know I have gained weight since and I wasn't really concerned but I saw some pictures of myself at the beach in late July and man, oh man, I looked horrible.  there was this one of me sitting on the sand, leaning over to help one of the kids, and the picture is from the backside, and my butt looked 3 feet wide and I had jowls of flesh hanging between some of the straps on my top. 

With my son, I gained about 80 pounds.  A lot of it was water weight - I had pitting edema at the end, my ankles were like a memory foam mattress - but I lost 60 of it in the first two weeks and the other 20 came off shortly afterward.  With DD, I gained about 50, and that actually was harder to lose.  I made no attempt at BF my son and I lost weight super quickly, and with DD I did BF and the weight was harder to take off, so i think that belief that BF helps take off pregnancy weight is a load of you know what.  Yeah you are burning 500 extra calories but you are so dang hungry you are like a human trash compactor, gobbling up everything in sight.  Just my opinion, I know my solo experience isn't exactly a scientific study. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 9:05am

I think I'm much less stressed about it this time around -- even though my pre-pregnancy weight was about 15 pounds higher this time than it was last time. I have changed how I talk about it though. I was so proud of myself for gaining only 11 pounds with Toby that I was very open about that fact, but this time around, I'm a lot more private. I just let people assume that I've gained a whole bunch already. Telling them any different is basically saying "Yeah, I was a fatty before," and that only leads to derisive looks and such. I just make sure I eat right and eat only when I'm actually hungry -- the same way I eat when I diet, except without the extreme calorie cutting and portion limitation.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 6:44pm
They don't want me to gain any weight or very little if at all possible. But I lose weight while pregnant and have lost 5 pounds so far. Last time I lost 18 pounds total.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 4:14pm

I try not to think about it too much but it does stress me out.  I gained a lot of weight with my son & then didn't lose it afterwards like I had planned!  I had just started to lose some of the weight and was down about 20lbs when I found out I was pregnant again.  At first I kept losing weight, and even went down another 9 lbs, but of course I know that won't be the trend for long.  So far I've only gained back 1 of those 9 lbs and I'm trying to be happy about the fact that 15 weeks in I'm still at a lower weight than I was when I got pregnant.  I'm mainly worried because I'm heavier than I've ever been & I know that if I gain too much weight it will just make the pregnancy harder on me & baby.  I'm going to try to just keep eating healthy & working out like I have been.  Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to worry about excess weight gain on top of everything else?  Ugh!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 2:38pm
Yeah, I worry about it so much, that I almost couldn't open this thread, because I knew it would stress me out! LOL.

I have been very concerned about my weight...especially since I lost around 55-60 lbs a year and a half ago. So I've constantly been working really hard to keep that weight off. Well, once I got pregnant, I knew i couldn't eat 1200-1400 calories a day anymore...(plus cravings are too hard to resist now) and I've been way to lazy and sick to exercise 2 hrs a day like I used to. So I've already gained around 10 lbs. I'm trying not to worry about it...and just keep telling myself that I can lose it all again when I'm all done! :smileyhappy: I don't even weigh myself anymore, except at my dr appts! Just trying not to think about it. LOL.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 12:40pm
I'm ALWAYS worried about weight gain even when I'm not pregnant so when I am pregnant, and I actually eat food with substance, I always gain weight. I've gained between 40-45lbs with each of my kids and delivered my first son at 221lbs. When I got pregnant this time around I weighed about 145 and I weighed that for the last 3 years. I'm already up 18lbs so I know as soon as I have this baby I'll be back to my strict dieting and running to get back down to where I was. I know I can't go from 1400 calories a day to 2000 and not expect to put on some pounds. And, one of the good things is, the baby, placenta, etc will make up some of that weight!

Here is a breakdown of most of the weight we gain...

blood - 3lbs
breasts - 2lbs
womb - 2lbs
baby - 7.5lbs
placenta - 1.5lbs
amniotic fluid - 2lbs
fat and protein - 7lbs
retained water - 4lbs

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/yourbody_weightgain.html

So after delivery, we will already be down a lot! It gives us some hope. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket

Pages