Child care costs - story on CNN

iVillage Member
Child care costs - story on CNN
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 11:21am

Saw this on CNN today:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/16/pf/child-care-cost/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I am not surprised.  I could've told you that this was our experience for sure.  Childcare costs are our biggest concern with having another baby and a big part of why we held off on having another one.  My daughter will be 4 when this one is born, so we will have about 16 months of two kids in daycare.  We haven't done any hard budget crunching yet but I am worried we will probably have to deplete the emergency fund and possibly dip into some retirement savings for those 16 months.

Now I am going to go online and look at jobs and housing in Mississippi...  ha ha.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 2:40pm
Wow, those prices are crazy! Thankfully, I don't have to worry about this since I'm a SAHM. That would definitely be a stress to afford!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 3:51pm
I can definitely believe that childcare costs more than rent. We live in KY and it wasn't ranked as very expensive but at one point we had an infant and a 2yo in daycare and we paid $296 a week. Our rent was only $745 at the time, so we were paying $500 more a month in daycare! That's part of the reason I quit my full time job recently to be a wahm!
Photobucket