Dad in the Delivery Room?

iVillage Member
Dad in the Delivery Room?
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 11:55am

While childbirth is miraculous, it can also be gory, and some guys have a hard time bearing witness as their spouses bear down. One dad even claims that seeing his wife give birth was such a downer that he didn’t want to get it up for a full year afterwards. 

Writing for the British tabloid Daily Mail, Martin Daubney claims that the trauma of witnessing his wife endure a complicated three-day labor followed by an emergency C-section was more than his fragile libido could take. And he says he’s not alone.

“At least three of my friends have admitted to leaving their wives as a result of their dwindling sex lives,” Daubney writes. “I truly believe couples would have more chance of normal intimacy after a birth if men saw less of the delivery… What no one talks about is how witnessing childbirth — the most intimate experience in life — leaves a lasting impression on a man and can drive a wedge between himself and his wife.” 

Dad says watching childbirth put him off sex for a year; women play world's tiniest violin for him

Hmmm.  Not sure what to make of this (but the title of the article sure made me laugh!).  Will your DH/SO be in the delivery room with you?  Have they expressed any concern about it? BTDT mamas, was your partner in the room with you when you gave birth?

photo snowsiggy.png