Everyone is feeling their babies, right?

iVillage Member
Everyone is feeling their babies, right?
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:19pm

So, I was on another board yesterday and a woman was feeling worried that she hadn't felt the baby move yet and she's 19 weeks.  Everyone told her it was pretty normal etc etc.  A bunch of women piped in and said that they were told by their doctors that it's "impossible" to feel the baby before 20 weeks and that the doctor and nurses all roll their eyes at women who claim to feel the baby moving any earlier... It's just gas that they're feeling. HUH!?  I think I would know the difference between gas and a baby. If a doctor told me that it's my imagination and I'm only feeling gas bubbles, I'd probably roll my eyes at HIM.  I've always been under the impression that waiting to feel the baby at 20+ weeks was normal but considered a bit late.  I always thought it was pretty normal to feel something around 15 weeks. I guess it doesn't matter much, but I thought I'd ask you ladies to find out when you felt movement, etc.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:48pm

Actually, most doctors agree that first timers usually won't feel much movement until around 18 weeks. Some people do feel it earlier the first time around, but others don't feel it at all until much later. Second or later time moms usually feel it sooner. No one wants to believe it, but I truly believe they are right. I also think it's especially hard for moms-to-be to admit it because once one mom swears she feels movement, another mom is bound to swear she did too...and by the time 2-3 moms are saying it, it's hard to be the mom that admits she either doesn't recognize something as primal as her own child's movement within her own body or that thinks something just might be wrong if she's the only one not feeling movement. So it's much easier to interpret any flutter at all as a kick. 

Count me as part of the latter category. In my expecting club for my son, I was due toward the end of the month, and when people started talking about movement, it killed me. I wasn't feeling anything I really thought was a kick, but I was both terrified that the lack of sensation meant something was wrong (we'd lost 2 babies before him) and embarrassed to admit that maybe I just wasn't that aware of my body. So I played along and convinced myself that anything I felt was the baby. Of course, I had an anterior placenta, and when I felt my first real nudge at 24 weeks, I knew how silly I'd been. But that didn't stop me from doing it again this time.

This time, the same fears got to me, and I would have sworn to you -- either out of fear or wishful thinking -- that I was feeling flutters at 14 weeks. But I had an epiphany during my 14 week NT scan. The doctor had the kid on ultrasound for an hour, and he was kicking, flipping, dancing, etc -- and I didn't feel a thing. That's when it occurred to me... if the doctor is pressing down on my belly right on top the kid (which would make it easier to feel), and I couldn't feel anything, there was NO WAY I was feeling kicks. He was just too small to make that much impact.  

Plus, a lot also depends on the position of the placenta. I had an anterior placenta with my son, so like I said, I didn't feel a thing until I was about 24 weeks. With this one, I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow and just felt what I think are the first real nudges yesterday. My OB says it's possible I'm feeling a little something at this point, but he also says my placenta is anterior again (though I don't think it's quite as anterior as last time), and I may not feel anything consistently for several more weeks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 1:02pm
I agree with the positioning of the placenta. This is my third baby and my first anterior placenta...I'm 19 weeks and a day and other than very sporadic little taps here and there that made me take notice and got my hopes up (followed by nothing else for several days), I've felt nothing yet. My first I felt around 20 weeks and my second I remember feeling much earlier around 15 weeks.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 2:15pm

I can feel this little guy or gal sometimes and I have felt him or her for a little while but with my first, it took forever to feel his movements.  I know I had not felt anything by the time I had my gender ultrasound and I was hoping to see him kick on the u/s  screen and match that up to a feeling because I had not felt anything yet and thought that maybe I just couldn't decipher it or something (it didn't work btw).  I think I was 22 weeks before I felt him.

As for gas versus baby movements, I can believe it because sometimes I think I feel baby movements, but where I am feeling them is up by my rib cage and my uterus just doesn't go that far up yet.  The ones I know are baby are lower down, in the part of the bump that is just over the public bone.  Everything gets so shifted around in there that I think you start feeling new stuff, and some of the new stuff isn't baby.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:23pm

I definitely think I am feeling movement, but this is my first so who really knows?  I know what gas bubbles feel like (and I'm defintiely, errrr, gassier than usual) but this is different.  It's almost like it lingers a little to long to be a gas bubble, and it's very low - just above my pubic bone.  I also felt a movement last week that made me laugh out loud because it actually tickled!  Thankfully, I was alone at home and not in a meeting surrounded by folks that would have then labeled me as crazy :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:38pm
Yep, I feel this little one. It's not always a strong, definite kick but little taps along the lower part of my belly. With my first, I was closer to 18 weeks and my second was around 14-15 weeks. I can see how gas can be mistaken for movement because even after you give birth, when your uterus is contracting back to it's normal size, it can sometimes feel like little kicks too.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:57pm
I am 20 weeks today and I have not felt anything. At my u/s they said my placenta is anterior, so that could be the reason. I honestly don't remember at what point I felt my other two. Hopefully it will be coming soon!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 7:47pm

With my DS I know I definitely felt him later. I've read that it can be as late as 25 weeks when pregnant with your first. This one I felt right around 17 weeks. I'm 21 weeks today and I feel it moving around quite often. Within the past 10 days though is when I've been able to push on my stomach and feel the kicks against my hand. I know it's hard to wait but you'll get there. 

Photobucket