I need opinions...

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2005
I need opinions...
4
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:48pm

As most of you are aware, I plan on attempting a VBA2C with this pregnancy. I've been thinking a lot lately, especially since I found out about the whole blood thing with the baby (see my post in the appointment updates), and I'm unsure if I should continue with the hope of a VBAC. I feel like I'm being selfish if I go full term, even though I know there are issues with the baby, when I could just opt for a c-sec at 38/39 weeks and get him/her out of harms way. Even though the doctor did say if my numbers dont change he will allow me to go up to 42 weeks, I feel like it'd be extremely selfish of me. I have also been stalking some other boards and websites and a few women attempted VBACs, and had to have c-secs anyway, and their doctors made a comment about how it's much safer to just do a repeat c-section because of all the scar tissue. Now, I've pretty much scared myself out of even trying the VBAC because I keep thinking well what if I get into labor and something bad happens, knowing I could just have a c-section and be done with it. I also thought about why I'm even bothering trying when this is our last baby anyway. Ugh. I dont know if I'm overreacting or what.

On the flip side, I have always been heart set on having a natural birth. I've done a lot of studying and researching ever since I was pregnant with #1. I've always felt like I could do it. Not only that, but with #1 I labored, got to 10cm, and went through 2.5 hours of pushing. The reason for the c-section was because he was face up and his nose was stuck on my pelvis and by the time he was that far down his heart rate was dropping with each contraction so it was my only choice. With #2, I was induced a week early and I just didn't feel like my body was ready. I only got up to 4cm and my doctor pushed me into another c-section because he was leaving for vacation the next day.

I'm so back and forth right now but I'd like to know what some of you would do in my situation...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-06-2007
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:24am

I second what Heidi said.  I don't think that you need to make this decision now when you're reeling from the news about the baby's condition. It could be a totally mild case like your last DS and you don't have to worry one bit  about a natural delivery. On the flip side, if the doctor gets worried, you can always schedule a c-section and know that you did everything in your power to make the best decision for LO.  

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2005
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:09am
I definitely feel like I need to relax a bit. I'm petrified of another c-section because of my last experience and because of all the risks but I'm open to it if need be. I know this will be my last, not because of the issues, but because of how mentally draining going through this experience for a second time and possibly third time!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-21-2005
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 10:17am

Hey there,

I know how you feel to a certain extent, because I really, really wanted a natural birth.  I was even planning on unmedicated and did all the classes for it and everything for my son.  I won't go into the long story, but I had an emergency c-section with him and when i say emergency, I mean emergency.  I felt like my OB saved the day honestly because the hospital staff was going nuts and he walked in and started giving orders and everyone calmed down and proceeded to do what they needed to do to ensure my son was okay.  I wanted to do a VBAC with my daughter, but I had polyhydramnios (too much water) and they were afraid my uterus would bust under the pressure.  I was measuring around 44 weeks when I was only 38.  And even though i was measuring so freaking large, I never went in to labor on my own which kind of makes me wonder if I can.

But anyway, my opinion is that you don't need to make a decision now.  I know you are worried and upset, but you still have 19 to 20 weeks left and your numbers might stay completely the same.  I would just keep discussing this with your doctor about how safe it is to go past 38 weeks.  As for the worries that you might have a repeat c/s, well I think you have to know that is a risk and make sure you aren't too upset about it if it does happen.  From what I have read, new research shows that VBACs after 2 c/s are no more risky than after 1 c/s.  Plus, there are risks associated with c/s, you shouldn't think it is risk free- babies are more likely to have fluid in their lungs, not to mention that you are recovering from abdominal surgery.  I had a friend who had a scheduled c/s and she felt great up until about a week later, something wasn't sewn up right and she had some internal bleeding and had to be hospitalized.  So there are risks there too.

Anyway, I think you just need to take a few deep breaths, maybe realize that your hope for VBAc is slightly more at risk, but then just sit back and see what your numbers show and what your doctor advises.  There is no need to make a decision now... not that you shouldn't think about it, but you have a good 3-4 months to decide what you want to do.  

Big hugs- I feel for you...

Heidi  

Photobucket