Labor preparation

iVillage Member
Labor preparation
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 12:35pm

What are you doing to prepare for labor?  I know we have a lot of BTDT moms, but are you doing anything to prepare for labor this time around?  Every labor is different and it's hard to know what to expect.

DH and I have attended a couple of classes and I've been trying to read the sections in my pregnancy books about preparing for labor.  I have no idea what to expect so I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can be.  I'm planning to download a relaxation program from Circle and Bloom that is designed for labor. I'm also picking up a few massage tools that they recommended in my class that we took on comfort skills during labor.  They recommended pool noodles cut to shorter lengths (the ones with the hole in the middle).  You can have your labor partner roll them across your back as a massage tool, or using tennis balls rolled across your back.  They're cheap and easy and can be thrown away when you're done with them. Other than that, I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself and hope that I can be as relaxed as possible when the time comes!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 1:13pm

I've been reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and "Spiritual Midwifery"... They have tons of stories of women who talk about their birthing experience and it's really helped me. Most if not all of them have amazing attitudes and expectations that birth isn't scary and our bodies will do what they're supposed to if we just relax and don't try to fight it.  That's my goal.. Not to fight the pain :).. I'm also supposed to be doing hypnobabies, but I've been slacking. I find that listening to the sessions calms me down and relaxes all my muscles, so I'm going to be listening to that while in labor I think.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 3:51pm
Just watching Baby Story for now whenever I have the chance (it is normally on during work). I have a pregnancy book as well. However, I remember from my last experience that you never know what to expect. I just sat down and told my husband somethings that are not my preferences (forceps,vacuum or a mirror) in labor and that I do want an epidural for pain medication. I also told him that I'd rather have a vaginal delivery like before but if it appears as if the baby and/or myself is at risk, I will take the C-Section. I have a couple of options for hospitals to deliver in DC and MD so I need to narrow those down to a first choice and find out what local hospital I can go to near my job (just in case).