Madelyn Anne

iVillage Member
Madelyn Anne
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 2:55pm

I'm finally having a free moment to come on here and post the birth story.  We ended up naming the baby Madelyn Anne and she is just beautiful!  I had my water break at 11PM when I was sitting up watching TV.  It wasn't the gush of fluid, but more just leaking out.  I was worried I wouldn't know it it had really broke, but when it happened the fluid is thicker and it was way obvious what had happened.  I had some contractions on the way to the hospital and when I got there they said they were already 2-3 minutes apart.  The nurses had me doing a lot of walking to try to get more dilated, I was only 2cm when I arrived at the hospital.  I progressed pretty slowly at first and finally progressed to around 5cm when they checked me Saturday morning.  After that, I kept trying to walk, but started having lots of back labor that went from my low back to my upper butt on the right side.  I could handle the contractions perfectly fine, but the back labor was making it way too uncomfortable to walk.  I sat in the whirlpool for a while and that helped and I kept trying to walk and then go back to use the whirlpool.  Finally they gave me some fentanyl to help me sleep, but unfortunately the only one who slept was DH.  I got maybe 15 minutes of sleep at best, but I at least got some relief.  Finally I requested an epidural after trying to walk again and failing because it was too much because of the pain.  I was 7cm before the epidural and after they started the medicine I was quickly to 10 cm.  I ended up pushing for 3 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm not sure if it was because the epidural made the pushing less effective or if I would have pushed that long regardless.  Fortunately I didn't have the pain at that point, so I didn't really care.  I had Madelyn at 9:45 PM on the 23rd. She was 7lb 7.8 oz and 20 3/4 inches long.  I can hardly believe that she's already a week and a half old!  I was exhausted after being up for 36 hours straight.  The first night was very rough and she was up most of the night!  We're trying to settle into a routine at this point, but I know it's going to be a while before that happens. She's been a great baby though and the past 4 nights she's pretty much gotten up to nurse and then gone back to sleep and I've been able to put her in the crib and go back to bed!  I'm very worried though, DH is leaving next Tuesday and I'm going to be on my own for 2-3 weeks while he's gone.  I've lined up people to help, but just hoping that she continues to sleep well at night. She'll be 2 weeks and 3 days old when he leaves. We plan to call a lot and send lots of pictures to Daddy.  He struggled with having to leave, but it's not really a choice at this point.  I'm sure we'll be fine, but it is just scary to think of being on my own so soon after she's born!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 7:58am

Congratualtions on the birth of your sweet baby girl!!  Welcome to the world, Madelyn Anne!

photo snowsiggy.png