Maternity Leave: What's Your Plan?

iVillage Member
Maternity Leave: What's Your Plan?
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 8:11am

Not that we needed another reason to convince us that extended maternity leave should be an option for all working women, but new research shows when moms-to-be stayed on the job past eight months of pregnancy, their babies weighed less than those born to moms who stopped working earlier.

The Guardian in London reports the study out of the University of Essex, using data from one U.S. report and two U.K. studies, found the half (.5) pound average difference was the same weight disparity shown between smoking and non-smoking pregnant moms. [Enter your own work-can-be-dangerous-to-your-health joke here.]

Interesting!  I know it isn't always possible to take an extended maternity leave. Will you work up until your due date? Take some time off before baby arrives?  What's your plan for taking time off?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:19pm
My job is actually a lot of walking and pretty stressful at times, but somehow most of the nurses I work with end up working up until their due date. I'm planning to try the same but will probably drop my hours down and not work 12 hour shifts if I can avoid it. I will probably take the full 12 weeks of maternity leave after I deliver. I've been saving paid leave for a long time to be able to take as much time as I want!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 4:07pm
Since I work completely from home, I don't have to worry about taking time off, but my husband doesn't get any time off from his job which ticks me off. He can opt to take vacation time but I dont feel like it should count against him. I doubt things will ever change in the US unfortunately.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:50am
Being a SAHM, this isn't something I have to worry about (and my husband gets 10 days that he can take after the baby is born), but it always irks me that the US is one of the only -- if not the only -- industrialized nations to have no mandatory maternity leave.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:38am

I've always worked up to the very end of my pregnancies so as to maximize FMLA time with the baby and will be trying to do that again.  Baby #1 was 8 lb, 0 oz and Baby #2 was 7lb, 14oz so I am okay size wise.  My job is a desk job though and I don't work overtime.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 2:14pm

I also have a desk job and the ability to work remotely from home so I will probably work up until the very end.  After that I'll take my 12 weeks FMLA and depending on how things go, will either go back to work full-time or part-time.  I am fortunate to have a very supportive employer and husband.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 1:30pm

My job isn't terribly stressful and I sit at a desk, so I might wait until I go into labor or I'm completely miserable. I can always bring in a big excercise ball  instead of my uncomfortable office chair.  As far as leave is concerned, I'll probably take a month off and then come back. I only work 4 hrs a day and my boss is really flexible, so I can probably bring the baby in with me sometimes and get some paperwork done.