Names

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Names
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 7:15am

Does anyone have their names picked out or narrowed down yet? are you matching their names to their siblings names ( like starting with the same letter, or having the same amount of letters)?

what names do you have picked out or are thinking about?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 10:32am
Ours have been chosen. The only restriction for us is that we're Catholic, so we name our children after those who have been Sainted or Blessed. Our son is named Tobias after Blessed Tobias Barras Roman, and his middle name is Anthony after his daddy and Saint Anthony.

If we have a boy this time (and my high risk OB was 95% sure of that at my 14 NT scan), he will be named Oliver after Saint Oliver Plunkett with the middle name of Thomas after Saint Thomas and his daddy. We will likely call him Ollie while he is little, just as we call our son Toby now.

If we have a girl, her name will be Molly Marie. Marie is my middle name and my mother's middle name, and both names are diminutive forms of Mary after Mother Mary.

iVillage Member
In reply to: abereth
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:36am

Toby and Ollie are an adorable sib set.. Great names :smileyhappy:.  

I'm in the middle of a naming crisis right now. Nothing just seems to fit and I have issues with every name on our list for one reason or another.  I really love the name Benjamin but the nickname Ben doesn't go with our last name.. My husband likes Atticus, Lachlan and Sawyer for a boy and Adeline, Adelaide and Romilly for a girl. I'm starting to lean more towards more traditional names that are timeless (i.e. Benjamin, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Anna etc.). I think we're going to wait until we meet the baby before we decide on a name. I'm hoping that I take one look at him/her and the name will just come to me. 

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:43am
It's hard for me to start looking at names already. DH is refusing to look at any names until we know the gender. I've been looking but I am worried about finding a name I love and having him hate it! I need to finish looking at girl names and get a list together still. I finished looking at the boy names but I'm trying not to get too attached to anything.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: writergirlmel
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:49am
Try not to worry too much. You'll settle on a name. I thought naming Toby was going to bring on World War III. My husband and I didn't agree on ANYTHING. Eventually, we came up with a list of 4-5 names that we could both live with, and I spent a few days using that name in conversation. It shocked me when Tobias/Toby ended up being the name I loved, and as soon as I saw him, I knew that the name fit.

This time around, I was prepared for another all out war, but we miraculously settled on the girl name the day we found out I was pregnant. So when the doctor said we were probably having another boy, I literally burst into tears the minute I got into my car because I was dreading the battle. That night, I had a bit of a hormonal/emotional breakdown about it, and my husband was all like, "Why don't you at least tell me what names you've been thinking of before you cry yourself sick over it?" I almost didn't tell him because I was SURE he'd outright rejected Oliver when I was pregnant with Toby, but he said he liked it. So, crisis -- and World War III -- averted. Sometimes, I think it just takes awhile to click on the right name together.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:51am
By the way, I forgot to mention that I absolutely HATED the name Toby. Every time I thought of it, I thought of either a dog or that annoying character on The Office. But as soon as I decided it was my child's name, all those negative connotations disappeared. Now, Toby is just my little miracle baby. Nothing more, nothing less. So keep that in mind when you're thinking about names. Sometimes, even if you think have an issue with a name, that issue might not be the dealbreaker you think it is.

iVillage Member
In reply to: duchessdina
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:15pm
I'll try to remember that and give some of them a chance. I'm hoping we can compare our lists and come up with a few names we like and just give the names a chance before we decide. We also plan on having a Lebanese middle name for our children. We may change our minds later but DH has a Lebanese middle name and I think it's a nice way to keep his heritage. DH is half Lebanese and his mom was the first to marry into the family who wasn't Lebanese...it kind of went over as well as My Big Fat Greek Wedding! His middle name is Najeeb which means James.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: hrtudy
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:29pm

We have made very little progress on names.  We know the middle names for each, if it is a boy it will be Robert and for a girl, the middle name will be Frances - both are family names of people we want to honor.  For first names though, we don't have any type of list or anything going.  I really like Henry and Levi as boys names and for a girl, for some reason I like the name June but DH isn't sold on any of them and honestly, although I like those names, I am not in Love with them like I was with DS and DDs names.  It is hard because both DS and DD names really meant something to me, DS name comes from my all-time favorite books and I had wanted it as a name long before I met DH and then my DDs name is my maternal grandmother's name and I just love the connotation behind it - vivacious, vivid, viva - Vivian is all those things for sure!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: babywishes1
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 1:13pm

Aww everyone is picking out such cute names!   I love to think outside the box with names but hubby likes traditional names.  With my son I wanted Jace SOOO bad, I just adored that name but hubby said no way so we chose Collyn.  My husband of course wanted to spell it Collin, but I wanted something just a bit different.  This time for a boy we'd likely do another C name with a Y, but haven't decided for sure.  We have narrowed down a girl name - Grayce Ann (Ann after my husbands sister & moms middle names).

Collyn 9 mo siggy
iVillage Member
In reply to: slkem3
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 3:41pm
I haven't even thought about names! I just refuse to do it until we know the sex. -It's so hard for my dh and me to agree! If we wait until we know, that cuts down a lot of the debate. :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 4:04pm
Dina, my husband is 1/4 Lebanese! His mom is Irish-Lebanese, and his dad is Irish-Luxumbourgean (I'm sure I didn't spell that one right).

Pages