New/Expectant Mom's parking

iVillage Member
New/Expectant Mom's parking
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 12:41pm

I don't know if anyone else has this in there area. At our stores we have a parking spot by the Handicap spots that is for new or expectant mom's.  I just have a short vent.  Every time I go to the store I see someone parking there who has no car seat in the back seat of their car and half the time the woman doesn't even look pregnant!  I guess now that I'm pg I would never think to park there unless I was way far along or if I really did have a newborn that I was taking to the store.  I think it's a really nice thing that the stores have a close place to park for Mom's who need it, but more often than  not it seems like I see women who probably aren't even pregnant parking there!  Ok, I'm done with my rant, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 12:58pm

I only know of two stores around here that have that. I do use it, because after two stores carrying myself, my one year old, and my four year old I'm ready to park IN the store. However, I got "the look" from a lady the other day. You know, the "you aren't pregnant" look. I'm sorry if I look more fat than pregnant...:smileytongue:

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 4:05pm

We have those all over the place around here, and they are SO nice to have when you get further along & when you're hauling around a newborn in a carrier!

When I was 9 months pg with my son (and in 100+ degree temps might I add), I went to the grocery store & sure enough the "expectant mother" parking spots (2 of them) were both full.  I parked elsewhere, obviously.  When I came out I saw a guy getting into his car that was parked in one of those spots.  I was so pissed that I marched right up to his window, knocked & when he rolled down the window I asked him what his due date was & announced that I was due in 2 weeks, and wasn't it so nice that WE, as pregnant women, had specialized parking so we didn't have to waddle as far to the store.  He just stared at me with his mouth open while his face turned beet red & he attempted to stammer out an apology.  I stomped off, but I tell you, I felt a lot better after speaking my peace & I hope that guy learned his lesson that those spots are there for a reason, and they aren't for him!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 8:32pm

gggrrr-creeper/lurker here I saw the caption and had to reply because I've been stewing about this.Has happened on more than one occasion where I have gone to Wal Mart to see the spot either occupied by someone waiting in car,with it running for someone to come out,or a young guy in a pickup truck with no kid in sight,nor a pregnant wife with him.I was livid,parked my van and made my way into the store and was gonna tear his head off,lol.I had been on my feet all day at work (I'm also a nurse,so you know what that's like Dina,lol) and was a miserable b*tch.I couldn't find the guy though.There will always be inconsiderate or ignorant people though-just like the ones who will push past you to get on the bus and get the last seats.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 8:56am
I haven't really noticed but I think that's because the only store around here that offers that is Babies R Us which ticks me off! I was telling my DH a few days ago that pregnant women should get a handicapped tag for the last half of pregnancy. I know we aren't handicapped but parking in the front for a couple months would make our lives a lot easier!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:08am
I caught a woman old enough to be somebody's grandma but definitely not pregnant parking in one. Thankfully I already look huge. So I puffed my belly out a little extra, got out of the car, grabbed my toddler and carried him up to the store glaring at her the whole time. LOL She was ten shades of red.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 10:20am

I get pretty irritated about this myself - I love the stories from Amy Lynn and wvgrl, that is so awesome!  We have those spots at my grocery store and I won't use them until I am at least showing AND out of the first trimester and even then, I don't use them much until I get in the last trimester.  But I know people park in them even if they aren't pregnant - in fact I was complaining about people doing this to a girl who was NOT pregnant and she up and admitted to me "Oh, I park there when I am in a hurry, no one looks pregnant at first anyway so no one can be sure I am not pregnant".  I just couldn't believe she was standing there admitting to me that she did that.  I was just amazed that someone could admit to doing something wrong, to the wounded party, with NO shame at all. Just because you aren't going to get a massive ticket for doing it doesn't make what you are doing okay.   

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 12:08pm

HAHAHA!! Oh my gosh.. This made me laugh so hard. I wish I would have been there to witness you telling him off.  I always stew and get all worked up about things but never have the confidence to really tell people how I feel. I'm going to live vicariously through you.  I bet that guy will think twice before he parks in the mama spot again :smileywink:..

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 12:10pm

Kaydeebee, I would have parked right behind his car so he was stuck there :smileyvery-happy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 2:11pm
YES!!! It drives me insane! When I go to the supermarket I don't even bother looking for parking there anymore. I usually don't mind an elderly person parking there but just yesterday a mom who was obviously not pregnant with a teenage daughter parked right next to me they have two spots for expectant moms. She didn't even look my way. Huge pet peeve of mine :smileysad:
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 7:36pm
I'm glad someone has told these people off! I have thought about it, but was never pregnant until now and now it makes me want to scream at them! I'd definitely say something if it was a man parking there with no kids!

Photobucket