Pacifiers?

iVillage Member
Pacifiers?
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:02am

I found an interesting article about how using pacifiers may supposedly stunt boy's emotional growth.  I'm not completely sure if I buy into all this, but it was interesting to read.  Do you plan on using a pacifier for your child and if so when is  it time to take the pacifier away?  I watched an episode of Toddlers in Tiara's and there was an older child with a pacifier and she kept yelling out for it all the time.  Personally I feel like I would not want my child using it after 1 year.  I guess I just feel like that's long enough and by then they shouldn't need it, but I've also never had to wean a baby off of the pacifier since I'm a first time mom.  What do you think about how long is too long for a pacifier? Any BTDT moms, when did you take away the pacifiers with your child or did they just stop needing it on their own?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/pacifiers-may-stunt-boys-8217-emotional-development-163700328.html

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 2:01pm
I got super lucky. Both my boys gave up pacifiers on their own at some point during the first 6 months. The bottle is a different story .......
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mandi_poo
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 10:45am
And I thought 3 was a lot! I keep my eye on this one because I'm going to make sure it doesn't get lost!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 10:52pm

I saw that article a few days ago. I think pacifier use completely depends on the child. I'm the oldest of 7 and not a single one of us ever used a pacifier. My poor mother tried but we weren't interested. One of my sisters sucked her thumb but that's it. My son never had any interest in one and neither did either of my nieces. That being said I think past the age of 1 is too old but I've never had to break a kid from the habit. But I absolutely hate seeing a 3 or 4 year old with a pacifier. It really bothers me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 10:19pm
We've got you beat on the lovies, Mandi. Toby is just a couple of months older than Braylon, and we're on our FIFTH Scout dog. It goes everywhere!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 10:02am
I used one with both of my kids. When my oldest DS was 9 or 10 months, he managed to throw both of his into the toilet. He never wanted it or cried for it after that. My youngest DS used his until he was about 14-15 months. He's the type that is really clingy to things. He carries around a glow worm that he's had since he was 6 months and refuses to sleep without it (needless to say, we're on our third one), his favorite pillow that my grandma made him, etc so I knew it was going to be harder to ween him. After about a week of only getting it at night, he ended up hiding it in his room so we used that as our opportunity. It went fine.

With this baby, I'm sure I'll use it again. I dont feel like either of my kids have issues emotionally.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: slkem3
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 3:32pm
I think I just really lucked out, because for us taking away the binkie was SO easy!

With my first, he mostly just used it at night. I only had a couple of them and they were getting old, so I threw them out and bought a new one. Well, the new one was a bigger size than the old ones. So when I gave Austin the new binkie one night (he was probably around 18 months), he said "Too big!" and took it out. He didnt' like the new size and refused to suck on it. So he put it on his pillow next to him at night and went to sleep! LOL. He did this for a few days...would ask for the binkie and just sleep next to it. It was the funniest thing. And then after a couple days, he was fine without it.

My second Jack, just started saying no when I offered it to him at night. LOL. I think he wanted to be like his big brother.

See? It was so easy for me! LOL. And my youngest one, never took a binkie at all. (Which actually was not a good thing and that's a whole other story...he refused to put anything in his mouth even food and drink and was basically starving himself...it was a scary time for us).

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 2:49pm

We used a pacifier with both our boys. Our first had it longer because my sister was getting married and we had to fly to the destination so the pacifier made it easier to ensure his ears wouldn't hurt. So we took it away from our first at 18 months but he only had it in the vehicle and in bed after 15 months. It took us 3 days before he "forgot" about it.

With #2 we took it from him at aound 14 months, and again a couple months before he only had it in bed and in the vehicle. Again it was like 3 days before he stopped asking for it.

Most likely we will use it again with this baby if needed.

Alicia Mom to Logan - Jan 9, 2005 and Colby - Oct 15, 2008
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 1:22pm

I actually tried to get my son to use a pacifier but he just wasn't interested and has always prefered sucking his hand or thumb.  He's 15 months now & still sucks his thumb but just when he's super tired or upset so I'm not too concerned about it yet.  I wanted him to use a pacifier so I could take it away & be done with it ... his thumb isn't going anywhere!  My dad's a dentist though & he said that as long as he's done thumb sucking by the time he's 3 we shouldn't have any problems with speech or mouth development.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:11pm
That's a cute way to wean them from their binkie! I don't know what to expect when it comes to weaning them from it, so I'm almost hoping that they don't use it at all. I think every parent is different and every baby when it comes to using a pacifier and some kids keep it for longer than others.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:01pm

Well that is certainly an interesting article, I had not heard that before.  We used pacifiers with both our children and will most likely use one with this baby as well.  We didn't take them away until they were 2 1/2, which I know sounds crazy late but it worked for us.  By the time they were 2.5, they were mainly using it at night.  My mom had always told me "oh, one day they will just forget about it and they'll be done" but that never happened for us.  My kids did not 'self-wean' at all.  And we did try the whole "Oh, just limit it to nighttime and car rides" but it seemed hard for the kids to understand and honestly, hard for us to stick with - if the kid is crying in the living room and wants a binky, what is the difference that they are in the living room and not in the car? 

Anyway, to get rid of the binkies, we did "big boy/girl day".  We told the kid that was having the 'big' day that it was coming up, and that the binky fairy was going to come to our house and wave her magic wand and turn their binkies into a wonderful toy.  And on big boy/girl day, we did something fun with the kids, like went to the zoo or bounce place or something.  Before we left, we had them gather up their binkies and put them in one spot and then arranged the switcheroo between the binkies and the toy when the kids couldn't see.  We also made sure to praise the kid whose day it was about what a big boy/girl they are now as much as possible.  We let them pick out dinner and just made the day all about them.  It worked great with both kids. 

No matter how you do it, I think the most important thing is following through on when you say "okay, no more binkies" that you don't give a binky again. 

Photobucket

Pages