Pregnancy Depression

iVillage Member
Pregnancy Depression
Sun, 07-22-2012 - 9:19pm
Hey guys, I've just realized this past week that I have some pretty uncontrollable feelings going on. This pregnancy was a surprise and it pretty much completely turned my life upside down. I have so many changes and life complications going right now and I'm dealing with the fact that i hate being pregnant. I hate getting sick, I hate being tired, I hate the aches and pains...I just want to feel normal but I know that's not possible. I've been crying a lot and sleeping a lot although the anti-nausea meds might have a lot to do with that. I'm just so lost and confused. I tried to explain it to my husband but he doesn't get it. He's such a happy guy, he doesn't get depressed. I love babies, inknow that I will cherish this child, but the idea of going rough these next 7 months and starting life over and changing all of my goals and expectations...it's just too much. I'm going to talk to my midwife at my first appointment this Thursday. I'm hoping she can offer some support groups or maybe I'll do therapy. Someone at church gave me a book they found called unexpected pregnancy and it talks about how everyone wants to tell you congratulations but sometimes you just don't feel like that's appropriate. I'm not there yet! This isn't a happy happy rejoicing time yet. This is a my life is over as I know it time and I'm not ready yet but I better get over it soon time. Anyway, has anyone else had experience with what the call antepartum depression? Abbie
iVillage Member
Re: Pregnancy Depression
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 1:56pm

I'm going through the exact same thing, Kristy. I live in NW Montana, so we only have a small window of good weather each year during the summer and fall.  Usually I'm super active... Hiking, biking, rock climbing, camping, etc.  Since I've been so ill I've been cinfined to my house and haven't been able to do ANYTHING.. It's really been getting me down. My DH works 6 days a week 11 hrs a day, so he's exhausted most of the time and doesn't have the energy to do anything.  He's also the type of guy that gets really stressed when he feels powerless to help, so he's depressed because I'm having such a rough time.. It's a circle of depression. ha.  I'm hoping that things will be better once we hit our 2nd trimester. I've been planning some mini trips that we can take and I'm hoping that I'll have more energy to be active and enjoy the weather.