Prenatal yoga, anyone?

iVillage Member
Prenatal yoga, anyone?
Thu, 09-06-2012 - 12:22pm

Since I'm starting to feel a lot better, I'm thinking of starting yoga back up again.  I feel like I'm breathing really shallow lately and think the breathing in yoga with help condition me a little better for labor, etc.  My birthing center has classes every wednesday so I'll probably go to a couple, but to be honest, I don't really feel like paying a lot for classes.  Does anyone have a DVD they recommend?

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 5:55pm
Ive been doing a DVD called "Prenatal Yoga" with Shiva Rea, produced by Gaiam. I've done it 5-6 times so far and I like it. It has 4 sequences that include a relaxing intro, standing poses, seated poses, and a short 5 min meditation. Each sequence is maybe 15 minutes long so the whole video is 50 minutes. Shiva is in her first trimester, but she has other women demonstrating modifications for second and third trimesters. It is not difficult from a strength standpoint and focuses more on stretching and breathing. If you have done a vinyasa class or power yoga or bikram and are looking for something similar, this is not it. It is more of a restorative or Qi yoga style. I've been using this to keeps my hips and back open, loose and strong - hopefully that pays off in the third trimester when my body has to carry 20-30 more pounds :smileyhappy: Oh, I also think it would be good for peeps new to yoga. If you are totally new then you might spend a little time figuring out poses the first couple runs through, but they are all pretty basic. If you have done even 1 or 2 classes in your life, you'll pick this up no prob.