Shopping for Maternity Clothes

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Shopping for Maternity Clothes
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 10:28am

I really don't want to do it (I don't like malls and crowds-especially now) but I am being literally pushed to the limit in my current wardrobe.  I notice the bump but I am not really visibly pregnant.   I want to make sure I choose things and have room to grow so I don't waste money.   

Has anyone else has started their maternity clothes shopping yet? 

Where do you look (maternity stores, regular deparment stores, online, etc.)?  Anyone just bought larger sized clothes instead?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 12:17pm

I guess because this is my third, I am already in maternity clothes and I have a collection from past pregnancies so I am fortunate in that sense.  I normally go through larger clothes before I get into maternity - or do like draw string pants, and empire waisted type shirts at the beginning and then when those don't fit, it is maternity.

As for shopping, you can sometimes find stuff at children's re-sell it/consignment shops - I have shopped there.  Also, Target carries Liz Lange maternity that is okay.  Personally, when it comes to maternity pants, I have tons of different varieties but none of them fit as well and are as comfortable as the Motherhood Maternity pants.  My jeans from there are my favorite, and I have some black pants that are real stretchy from there that are soooo comfortable and go with everything.  Kohl's stuff is okay, and JC Penney stuff is okay.  I recommend buying in person, especially since the sizes tend to be S, M, L even for pants. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 12:45pm

I agree with Heidi.. My Motherhood pants are just about the most comfortable jeans that I own.  I still wear some pre pregnancy jeans but I leave them unbuttoned and have one of those belly band things that I got from Target.   I've actually had some good luck at Ross too. I don't know if you have that where you live, but I've scored some CHEAP maternity shirts there. I got a couple spaghetti strap stretchy tanks for between $2-$5 and some basic tees that are super comfortable and also around $6 a piece. I haven't had luck with jeans there, but I did get a pair of maternity leggings that I love... Also $5.   I would recommend shopping in person for things like jeans since finding a proper fit can be rather frustrating.  That being said, Old Navy and Gap seem to have a pretty good selection online :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 3:53pm
I have 2 pair of maternity jeans, also Motherhood brand, one size M and one L. I'm not in the L yet but I figured I might be by the time Feb rolls around. For the most part, I wear bigger shirts. I may buy 1 or 2 maternity shirts but I normally just get bigger sizes because they are cheaper.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:22pm
I actually just started shopping today for maternity pants. I am still able to wear my shirts without too much problem if they're baggy enough. I don't really have much of a bump yet, so I was pretty frustrated to have to shop in maternity already. I guess I figure with winter coming up fast, there's no point in buying anything a size bigger when it won't last long with my growing belly. I'm trying to just buy a few things for now so I don't have to buy bigger sizes later on. I was really excited that motherhood maternity actually had tall sizes. It's hard enough to find tall sizes in normal jeans!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 7:42am
I'm in maternity clothes almost as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. (At 4'11", there's nowhere for the fluid and the baby to go but into a bump.) In my opinion, Motherhood Maternity is the best bet for jeans. They're frequently on sale, and even when they're not, they are reasonably priced. The Secret Fit Belly used to be a pain because it would not stay up, but they've changed the material in the panel, and I have no problems with it now. Also, the Motherhood jeans seem to be truest in size. They run in S/M/L/XL, and I ALWAYS wear the same size as I would in, say, yoga pants. With many other brands, I found that I could go 1-2 sizes up and still be wrong! Motherhood's shirt sizing is pretty accurate too. If you're a large in pre-pregnancy t-shirts, you'll be a large in Motherhood Maternity. The major drawback I see with them -- and many others -- is that the store is always so small. The selection is always MUCH better online. The good news is that their shipping doesn't cost much (and is frequently free if you spend over $50). So, if you don't understand their size charts or have any doubts about your size, you can always take one quick trip in to the store to confirm your size and then order everything online.

As for Liz Lange Maternity at Target, I've found that the line -- like much of Target's clothing -- runs very small. It also has not held up nearly as well as the stuff from Motherhood.

Other lines/stores I've liked -- Pea in the Pod, Isabella Oliver (for investment pieces), Japanese Weekend (hit the sales). I've shopped all of those online with good results. I never have luck with anything remotely stylish (and considering that I'm in no way a fashionista, that's a pretty big accomplishment) or decent quality at Kohl's or JC Penney. I also never have luck at consignment stores. In our area, everything always looks like its been worn through 3 pregnancies that occurred in the 80s or early 90s. Also, don't overlook a couple of the bigger non-prego trends right now. Some longer t-shirts I bought at The Limited early this summer are just now starting to get a bit short, and I have a couple of tunic sweaters from my regular wardrobe that I'm sure will still cover the bump and the maternity panel this fall. Anything long, stretchy, and fitted or with an empire waist will work for awhile.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 7:44am
Oh, and I forgot to mention this: Motherhood Maternity always has a fake bump in their dressing rooms. It adds about 3 months to your current belly, so you can see how things look as you grow and see if you'll need to go up a size. (I've never gone up a size in Motherhood, by the way. Their stuff really is designed to give the belly room to grow.)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:58am

I'm really dreading shopping for maternity clothes, but I did buy one dress at Target that was legit cute and could be worn as a non-maternity dress as well.  So far I've just had to unbutton my pants and for work I keep them buttoned with those belly band things.  I'm hoping that lasts a while, but I do need to find some longer shirts to cover the unbuttoned part.  I also bought a good pair of jeans one size larger than usual.  They won't fit come Dec-Jan, but will probably be helpful for a while after baby arrives too (I hope!)

What does everyone do about winter coats?  I usually wear slimmer fitting wool coats and I don't think that's going to work come January!  I don't want to pay $$$ for a bigger coat :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 10:38am
I was really reluctant to buy a coat, and where we lived at the time (KY/TN state line) and now (GA), a coat really isn't necessary all that often.... but we were spending Christmas in Minnesota, and since there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, it seemed like a coat that actually buttoned was a good idea. So, my two cents is this: If you live in or are visiting a climate where buttoning your coat is necessary, get a coat from somewhere like Motherhood. I think I paid $80 for mine, and it was a wool peacoat exactly my like regular coat -- except gray instead of purple and cut to fit around the baby bump. Items like that also last well from pregnancy to pregnancy and sell well if you decide to sell it after your pregnancy.

Otherwise, I never buy maternity cardigans and jackets. I don't button them anyway, so who cares? I DO have a couple of maternity jackets I got as gifts though, and I'm not ashamed to say they're cute enough that I've worn them between pregnancies and will wear them again through this one.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 12:18pm

I was wondering about the coats too.. Since I live in the mountains, I usually get by with a northface vest and sweater in the winter, but I don't think that's going to work this year.  I guess I can always leave my coats unbuttoned?  I would really hate to buy an expensive maternity jacket and only wear it for three or four months.  I'm actually thinking of getting an athletic looking jacket that Mountain Mama makes. I tried one on at a boutique in town and actually think that I could get away with wearing it when I'm not pregnant too. That's the only way that I would consider spending $110 on a maternity jacket. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 3:36pm

For my first pregnancy, my mom got me a cape for me to wear as a coat - I tried to finda  picture on line and this is the closest I can find: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jones-new-york-coat-faux-fur-trim-cape?ID=686718&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results.  Mine is a lot longer though - it is pretty warm and I can wear it even when I am not pregnant.

One more note on pregnancy jeans, everyone is different but I personally detest the ones that sit below the baby bump.  They always roll down and I am constantly tugging them back up - in the front and in the back.  I know they aren't sexy but the large panel that goes over the bump is WAY more comfortable.

Photobucket

Pages