Shopping for Maternity Clothes

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Shopping for Maternity Clothes
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 10:28am

I really don't want to do it (I don't like malls and crowds-especially now) but I am being literally pushed to the limit in my current wardrobe.  I notice the bump but I am not really visibly pregnant.   I want to make sure I choose things and have room to grow so I don't waste money.   

Has anyone else has started their maternity clothes shopping yet? 

Where do you look (maternity stores, regular deparment stores, online, etc.)?  Anyone just bought larger sized clothes instead?

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:09pm
Heidi, I agree about the panels. Over the belly panels are the way to go.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:25pm

I live in Maine so winter coats and jackets are a must for 50% of the year.  I find this cloak idea very intriguing -- never would have thought of that.  Thanks!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 7:37pm

I've been shopping a little bit here and there, mainly the clearance and sales racks. With my DS I bought both bigger sizes and maternity clothes. The bigger clothes looked weird and bad on me so this time I'm getting only maternity clothes. I've shopped motherhood maternity before and know what sizes I wear there so I just shop online most of the time. I too have had success at Ross as well.  I got a super cute shirt there and a pair of maternity jeans just the other night. For me though my biggest expense isn't the clothes but the bras. Most of my regular clothes still fit but I'm already in nursing bras.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 8:52pm
You are so right about the bras! I'm normally 34-36DD before pregnancy, god only knows what I'm up to now! I'd live in a sports bra during pregnancy if they didn't make me have a uni-boob. It sucks to spend so much on bras but I have to say nursing bras are SO comfortable.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 11:41am

That's the size I am normally as well. Last time I think the highest I got was an F. You're not finding that size anywhere but at maternity shops. But I nursed my son until he was 15 months old so I felt like I really got my use out of them at least.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 12:07pm

Do you guys recommend any brands of nursing bras? I'm not sure if I should get a couple now or wait until after my milk comes in and I figure out what size i'm going to land on. I was thinking of going up a size or just getting one of those handy nursing tanks that have the built in bra. I think I saw a couple at Target.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 1:18pm
I honestly can't remember the brand I had because it was so long ago. I remember the straps were thick and padded in the middle and the latch was so easy to get on and off. I even wore it a couple months after I stopped nursing because it was so comfortable. I wish I could remember where I got it because I'd definitely go back and get the same one. I've been looking online at Motherhood and the ones they have are really inexpensive. They ranged from about $15-$27.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 2:47pm

I don't remember off the top of my head what brand of nursing bras I bought, but I got them from a lactation center where I live.  I had bought a cheap one from Target and another one from Motherhood (but that one was underwire & they recommend not wearing underwire while nursing) that I wore right when I got out of the hospital and then I went to see a lactation consultant & they fitted me for a couple of really good bras there.  I would recommend buying a couple of cheapies for when you're hanging around the house or for at night but then go ahead and invest in at least 2 good nursing bras (that way you always have a clean one to wear).  I would also wait until either right before you have baby or until right after.  You don't want to spend $50-$80 on a single bra only to find out 5 months from now that it's really not a good fit.  The good ones are worth it too, so if you can, go that route rather than only buying cheap ones.  Remember that you'll be wearing these bras over breasts that are swollen, sore & at first, more than slightly abused, they deserve the good stuff!  Oh, and they aren't all ugly granny bras ... I actually got one that was really lacy & pretty.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 3:45pm
Yeah, Amber, I think you should wait before purchasing a nursing bra! Your size could really change between now and then!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:54am
I was actually trying to figure out what I was going to do about a coat this year. I live in Iowa and have a really fitted pea coat and I know for sure my boobs would already not fit in it. I wasn't sure if it was worth it to buy the maternity coats or just buy a size bigger in a normal coat. As for the nursing bra's, I'm glad you said to wait and buy them closer to when you deliver. I was debating what to do about that as well. I knew not to buy it now, but I wasn't sure when I'd need to be buying one.

Photobucket