Superstition about buying things for baby?

iVillage Member
Superstition about buying things for baby?
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 1:42pm

I've been wanting to buy things for the baby and a friend said that she never did because she said in her family they believe it's bad luck to buy anything before you're 6 months along!  Has anyone else heard anything like this?  DH doesn't really want me to buy things anyway...but that's because he doesn't want things piling up before the baby's room is ready.  Has anyone started buying things yet for the baby?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 2:35pm
I'm really not superstitious...but at the same time, I can kind of understand the concern! LOL. But for me, it's more like just the 1st trimester...I wouldn't want to buy anything in the first trimester, simply because the chance for miscarriage is so high. But I guess I don't really think of it as bad luck if you did buy something. Personally, I'll wait unitl we know the gender...and then I'll start shopping like crazy. :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 3:00pm

We still have a lot of stuff from the first two kids so we'll mostly be waiting for the gender to buy the clothes (we gave them all away). But yes, we have bought something..a swing. Ours crapped out and we had a 20% off coupon so we dove in. It's unisex, and it's sitting in the box in the office. 

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 4:47pm

We haven't bought anything for this one yet, but we have a lot of stuff already.  We need some of the basics though - high chair, car seat, crib, stroller ;-)  We are going to look on Craigslist for everything but the car seat and honestly, I just haven't gotten around to starting looking.

I had heard that in some religious/cultural traditions that it was considered 'bad luck' to buy things for the baby before the baby is born (which I can't imagine having an infant and needing to run around to buy all of that!) but I have never heard of a 6 month rule for lack of a better term.  I definitely started buying stuff for my current two before I got to 6 months.  I can see not buying anything when you are in the first trimester, but especially once you do the 20 week ultrasound, in my opinion it is time to start shopping!  it can take a while to accumulate everything and especially if you want to go the consignment/used route on stuff, you have to start even earlier. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 5:40pm
Believe me, I'm so ready to start shopping! We were trying for so long and I was looking at things already back then. I personally don't really believe the superstition, but I thought it was weird when she mentioned it. DH may just have to deal with it if I start shopping! I don't want to wait and spend all at once for everything we don't get at our shower. It would be nice to spread out some of the spending so we don't miss the extra money so much.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 11:35am
I have a box full of stuff I have either bought recently or pulled out of storage from Wyatt. As soon as we find out the gender I am going hog wild and buying so many clothes!!!!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 11:50am

I was watching "Bringing Home Baby" on TLC one time, and there was a family that was superstitious like that.  I think it was a religious thing from the husbands side and the mother was a bit frustrated because they didn't have a single diaper or onesie for the baby when they brought him home.  I felt kind of bad for the parents because they were trying to assemble and buy everything the week after the baby was born.  When you're exhausted and adjusting to having a new baby, I wouldn't recommend trying to fit 9 months worth of prepping into one week of time.  

That being said, I was a victim of my own impatience during my last pregnancy.. Bought tons of maternity clothes from Old Navy because they were throwing a huge sale, and ended up having a mc at 10 weeks.  I ended up having to buy some roomier clothes this time around during the first trimester too because I was SO bloated I wasn't comfortable in my regular clothes.  I did have a fleeting thought that I might be jinxing myself, but I got over it.  I've cautiously been getting a few things here and there.. I'm starting to stock up on cloth diapers and my sister has given me a TON of stuff that's sitting in the soon to be nursery. Once I get my gender scan next month, I'm going to start buying and planning full throttle :smileyhappy:.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 7:46pm
I've never heard of that rule either. I normally wait until I know the gender just because it's easier for me to either go to the boy stuff or girl stuff. I cant wait to start buying stuff either though, that's the best part!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:47pm

I started buying stuff as soon as we got the results of the CVS testing back.  I couldn't help myself ... all the pink & ruffles & bows just got to me & I HAD to have some of it!!  We haven't cleaned out the office yet, which will be her room, so for now all her new clothes are hanging up on my side of the closet.  :smileyhappy:  With Luke I started buying as soon as we found out the gender too ... that time from an amnio at 14 weeks.  I can't imagine going 6 months, much less the entire pregnancy without getting the shopping bug!  This time around we have a lot less stuff that we need but I'm still looking forward to buying her nursery furniture & all the stuff to decorate her room!  And of course the clothes ... little girl clothes are just SO much fun to buy!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 2:40pm

I have some friends who, for cultural reasons, will not purchase so much as a diaper until after the baby is born. Some cultures also dictate that you do not take the baby out of the house (except for doctor appointments) until the baby is, I think, a few months old. I had a hard enough time keeping Toby at home for 6 weeks because he was a preemie! Anyway, the friends who can't/won't shop until after the baby is born have said that it's really not as chaotic as you'd think. The vast majority of stuff we think we need, we don't need at all or don't need right away. As long as the kid has diapers, something to eat, something to wear, and a place to sleep, you're good for awhile, and most of those things are purchased by family members or friends while the new mom and baby are still in the hospital. 

As for me, I don't have any superstitions or cultural restrictions, but I haven't bought anything yet. We have most of the big-ticket basics left from Toby, and I'm just not excited about clothes yet. (Though Crazy 8 is having a sale starting in a few days, so since I'll be popping in for the new fall dinosaur collection for Toby, I might buy some clothes if the baby collection is cute.) I really JUST decided how I want to decorate the nursery whether the gender changes or not (I'll just add some girly flair if it does), but I haven't started on it. I've been focusing on re-doing Toby's room. Then I have to do the new guest room (formerly the office), and THEN I'll do the nursery. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:23pm
I always buy one thing as soon as I find out I'm pg. just something little, this time a blanket. I have resisted the urge to buy anything yet because I have a lot of boy stuff, but if this is a girl, I want NO yellow or green... I want all pink and purple!!! Lol! I just can't wait to find out!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pages