Touch Sensitive

iVillage Member
Touch Sensitive
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 12:37pm

I really don't want to be hugged, rubbed on (except my feet and ankles) or come into physical contact with anyone right now.  I let my husband do it because I know that is one way for him to bond right now but I REALLY don't want to be touched. Anyone out there touch sensitive? How do you politely deal with it or do you just let it go? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 2:14pm
I guess I'm not experiencing this. I did warn my husband that I'm guessing there will be times when I am in labor that I may not want to be touched. Sometimes when I don't feel good I get really anti-touching and just want my space. Hopefully it's just a phase in your pregnancy and you'll not have this going on until Feb.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-28-2012 - 2:55pm

I went through this a few months ago to the point that my husband actually starting googling "my pregnant wife doesn't want to be touched".. haha. I honestly think it's a hormonal thing and some people have a harder time with it than others. Now I'm just selective with touching. I LOVE having my feet rubbed and my head massages from DH, but if a stranger invades my two foot bubble, I start seeing red. This has been especially difficult trying to shop around the holidays. I live right on the Canadian/US border in Montana, and we have literally thousands of Canadians crossing the border to do their shopping here (we don't have sales tax) every year and Christmas time is by far the worst. Our city really isn't that big, so it feels like we're all stuffed in here like sardines when everyone hits the shops at the same time. I go a little crazy.  I'm not a confrontational person usually, but when people start touching my belly, crowding me, etc. I start going a little nuts.  It's worse when I'm overwhelmed though.

My only advice is to do make sure you take time for you every day to de-stress. Take a bath, read a book, listen to meditation podcast, etc.. It really helps me calm down a bit and I find that I'm more open to letting DH be more physical with me.  It also helped talking to him about it. Once I verbalized that I was feeling resentful that I was suffering so much during the pregnancy and he wasn't, it opened communication and I lost that resentment. It seemed to help..

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-28-2012 - 10:35am
That's a tough one! I never did feel this way during pregnancy, but I feel that way every now and again when I'm stressed or overwhelmed. I don't think it would hurt to have a conversation with your DH to let him know how you are feeling. Let him know it isn't personal and you aren't sure why you are feeling this way. I'd also let him know that foot rubs feel especially wonderful during pregnancy and that you'd love if he'd continue to give those. Hopefully the other ladies here will have some advice to share with you too. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you talk with him. HUGS!

photo snowsiggy.png