What would you put in your labor survival kit?

iVillage Member
What would you put in your labor survival kit?
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 11:54am

I discovered that they sell labor survival kits for cute gifts to give someone while they are pregnant.  I'm sure most of this is things that you would pack already in your bag for the hospital.  It listed things like a massage tool, hair bands and headbands, lotion, puzzle books, deck of cards, gum and breath drops etc.  What things would you put in your labor survival kit?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 7:56am
Mine is probably a bit different since I never felt even one contraction with my son (water broke at 34 weeks; 4 hours later & a hospital transfer later, he was born via c-section), and this one will be a scheduled c-section. I had NOTHING with me for Toby's birth, but I do remember the things I wanted/needed afterward, and I'll be packing them this time. Cheap cotton granny panties, cell phone & charger, laptop & charger, reading material, basic toiletries (soap & shampoo I like, lotion, moisturizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc), new pajamas (keeps me comfy and less self-conscious for visitors), my pillows, snacks (my sister-in-law sent an AWESOME basket to the hospital last time), and menus & phone numbers for any restaurants that will deliver to the hospital in case the food is bad. Funny story about that last one. We called my favorite Chinese place while I was still in the hospital. I gave my order, and the lady confirmed my usual address. (Yes, she recognized us by phone number and order.) When I asked her if she could send it to the hospital instead, she was like, "Oh my goodness, you had the baby! It's so early! Is he okay? How are you?" and then they added their own little gift basket to our order.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 4:14pm
Oh man. Everytime I pack a hospital bag, there is always something else I wish I had. Since I always seem to have long stays thanks to my c-sections, I'll be bringing...

- shampoo
- toothpaste/toothbrush
- couple change of clothes
- laptop
- definitely chapstick or vaseline
- socks
- snacks
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 1:17pm

I'm a FTM, so I'm just going off what other people say, but apparently chapstick is a big one.  All that dry hospital air and heavy breathing apparently makes your lips unhappy. 

I don't think I'll be spending very much time in the birthing center, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what I need to bring. My midwife said that as long as baby and mama are doing ok, we can go home anytime we want.  I'll probably bring snacks and a small bag of toiletries and couple changes of clothes just in case. I live 5 minutes away, so I can always send DH home to get anything that we forget.  I'm also not sure what the center provides in the way of pads and that cold spray for your va-jay-jay that women always talk about. :smileyhappy: