Word of caution....

iVillage Member
Word of caution....
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 1:28pm

I just read somewhere that honeydew melons, cantaloupe, and sliced packaged apples (like from McDonalds) have been recalled due to listeria.  My friend actually got super sick from a cantaloupe a couple weeks ago.  Another friend got ecoli a month ago and they never figured out where she got it.. The doctor did say though that if you're going to eat a melon, be sure to scrub the outside of it with soap and water really well before you cut into it.  If the farmers use any kind of fertilizer, sometimes ecoli and other bacteria get on the outside. Then when you cut into it, the bacteria or virus gets inside.  

I'm pretty much freaked out about eating anything right now.. hahaha.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 12:33pm

I have a cantelope & a honeydew melon sitting on the counter & I just look at them now when I pass by & think about whether I should scrub them up or just throw them away.  As lazy as I've been feeling lately, I'm leaning towards the garbage.  :smileyhappy:

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 12:08pm
Sometimes I wonder if anything is safe to eat. It seems like there are outbreaks of e-coli and listeria that is on the news constantly. I agree with Amy and think I'll stick with my Jimmy John's!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 4:15pm
I couldn't imagine having e-coli being an adult, let alone a child having it. That is terrifying! It seems to be so common now days. My grandma made a comment about how "back in the day" they used the same stuff to fertilize their fruits and veggies and they never got sick, so what is the difference now? It's scary.

There was also a fair about an hour from here a few weeks back and there are a ton of people getting swine flu from being around the hogs that were there! Now I'm paranoid about that. I think I'm just staying in the house for the next 6.5 months!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 10:42am

I had heard about the packaged apple slices but I didn't know it was in pre-packaged cantaloupe and honeydew.  Now I am worried because my DH bought some package cantaloupe chunks from the store this past weekend, I didn't eat any although I know I touched them giving them to my kids... 

My friend's 12 year old got e.coli from a salad bar at the local grocery store here last year.  It was on the lettuce in the salad bar.  She was really sick - in the hospital for at least a week and even after that, she took a long time to completely bounce back.  I asked him about her 2 months ago and they were still limiting some foods that were hard on her stomach since the e.coli infection.  I felt horrible for their family.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 6:33pm
Go back to eating my Jimmy John's .... seems safer these days. HA HA HA
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 5:12pm
OMG just last week I was cutting a watermelon and I was thinking to myself that the outside of those things are disgusting. A million people touch them at the grocery not to mention how many hands they go through before they even get to the store. I'll definitely be scrubbing the heck out of mine if I can even manage to eat them!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 3:42pm
Oh my gosh! Thanks for the heads up!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 2:29pm
Oh my gosh, really? I had no idea! I have a cantaloupe that I'm planning on cutting at dinner...it was grown locally though, so maybe it's okay? I'll definitely scrub it first! Thanks for the warning.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 2:02pm
Yikes! Scary stuff, Amber! Thanks so much for posting it here. It is making me think twice about that cantaloupe I just cut up!

photo snowsiggy.png