Hi there! Let's hear it for surprise pregnancies!

iVillage Member
Hi there! Let's hear it for surprise pregnancies!
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 10:06pm

I'm 33 and have one happy, spirited little girl named Bryn, birth date 4/29/10.  Since I became a mom, I've watched my career as a high school English teacher atrophy to the point of my accepting that my heart isn't in it like it once was.  I was just too busy, and spending too little time with my daughter. So I went part-time halfway through last school year, and since my employers prefer full-time employees, I was not offered a part-time position for this next school year.  My commute was the pits anyway, so I looked at it as an opportunity to find something closer to home.  And then, four weeks ago, I took a pregnancy test on a whim.  B. F. P.  I was shocked.  I was also on a five week vacation from my home, visiting friends and family across the country (I live in California, they live in Maryland and New York).  During this vacation, I was nauseous and ravenous all at once. On top of that, I was (and still am) exhausted. But over the phone, DH and I made a plan: sell our expensive house in CA (our market is actually good right now) and move to Oregon or Washington so that we can afford for me to stay home (among other reasons).

I finally returned to CA this weekend, and went to the doctor today.  9 weeks pregnant, due 2/26.  And while I'm not upset about the pregnancy, I wouldn't say that I'm happy either.  In moments, I probably am happy.  But my whole life has completely changed, and it's pretty darn terrifying.  But I definitely feel like there is some divine force at work here, even though I'm not very religious at all, and I'm willing to see this through and do my best to be positive.  Anyway, I'm glad I found this place.  I joined an iVillage group when I was pregnant with DD, and it helped me feel a whole lot more comfortable with what was going on.  Right now, I've already gained like 7 lbs (!!) and am so bloated that most of my pants don't fit.  Bullocks.  It is difficult to pick up my daughter, and I'm still just so tired. 

Looking forward to meeting you ladies!  Congrats and best wishes :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Hi there,

Congratulations on your big surprise pregnancy and welcome to the February 2013 Expecting Club! I hope that you find friendship and support here during your pregnancy journey. Wishing you a very happy and healthy nine months!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

Welcome! We have a surprise here too! I feel like surprises are much harder because we weren't really on the band wagon. I have my "I'm not sure I want this" moments, especially when I'm feeling extra sick. Being a SAHM is great, I think you will really enjoy it and as for your plan to move north, it sounds like a great opportunity. We actually are trying to get transferred to Seattle (from Tx). Glad to have you here!

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member

Welcome to the board! There's a great group of ladies here and I look forward to getting to know you as well :smileyhappy:..  

I live in the Pacific NW (well... Montana, but I think it's still considered PNW) and it's really a great area to raise a family. Oregon and Washington are beautiful states.  Moving while you're pregnant is pretty tough, but if I survived  I think anyone can! 

Good luck and h&h9m to you!

iVillage Member

I think 2/26 is the due date for a few other surprise pregnancies. Mine included. Best wishes to you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. Life is crazy :smileyhappy: But I feel blessed at the same time and that it will all work out.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Hi! Wow, Tx to Seattle would be quite a move! I hear it's beautiful up there. And congrats on your surprise :smileyhappy: I'll look to you for help with the SAHM thing: it's already much harder than working PT and mommying ever was!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Oh, man, everyone I know who has been to Montana says it's the most beautiful state. My sister lives in Spokane, WA and regularly brings me this huckleberry syrup from Montana that I live and die for.

Nice to meet you :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Hi Emily! I guess we will all learn how to do the juggle, huh? And yes, in those 'woe is me' moments, it's good to remember how lucky we are. So many people would love to be in our positions and cannot be. But sometimes, I can be a whiner :smileywink: Working on it! Haha!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Oh trust me I can so relate. I am such a planner. And the first two pregnancies were super planned. The second even more so since we had 3 losses prior to it. I am still having trouble adjusting to this new adventure as mom of 3 to be. This was supposed to be my summer of fun, enjoying my 5 year old before she goes off to kindergarten in the fall. I planned to be not pregnant or breastfeeding for ONCE in the past 4 years. To have energy and plan lots of things to do outside.  But there were other plans in store. I think to with my previous losses I would be happy no matter what. But like I said I'm a planner and its hard to not be a little cranky about it....I know once I see the first u/s and feel safe sharing our news I will feel better about it. But right now I'm just trying to make it through. Only 6 more days until my first appt/ u/s.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I really could have almost written your post! I am also 33 and this was a major surprise pregnancy for me as well! I had the same due date as you until my ultrasound yesterday. Now I'm due march 6th! But I am also changing my whole life from job, to home to expectations all over this pregnancy and I'm not sure how i feel about it just yet. I'm sick and tired and sick of being sick and tired! It is really hard! I have three boys as well so a fourth child is a tad bit intimidating. Anyway, I am heading over to the march expecting club now but you sounded like an exact copy of me so I wanted to give you some support. If you want to email I am at abigailvelez24@yahoo.com. Abbie
iVillage Member

Sounds real familiar!  I was driving my daughter to college (Houston to Boston) and thought it was very odd that I was getting so car sick when I was the driver and I must have picked up a suitcase wrong and that's why my BBs hurt and wait a minute, did I have a period any time recently?  Hit me somewhere in mid Tennessee that it was not my first rodeo.

Photobucket