fast heartbeats

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
fast heartbeats
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:55am

Hello wonderful ladies.

This is my first post. I am new to ivillage. I am in my 3rd month and needed to ask if any of you has experienced heart issues during pregnancy. I don't have any heart problems. I was asleep when I was suddenly awaken by my racing heartbeats. my heart was pounding strongly through my chest and I could feel it in my arm and belly. It was crazy as if I have been running but as I said I was fast asleep. It lasted like 20 minutes. This has never happened to me before, but my heart was about to stop. very scary. Has anyone experienced this before? Do you think this is related to pregnancy? Any information or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 7:03pm
I've read it's possible to have heart issues during pg due to the increased blood volume. I'd be careful if you feel like your heart is running because it could be an arrhythmia that needs to be checked out. I would call or go to the doctor if it happens again. Especially since you felt it in your arm and belly. It never hurts to be on the safe side.
Also, welcome to ivillage and our group!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:48pm
Could also possibly be thyroid. Palpitations are very common for that. Have u had any bw done yet?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:47pm

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 12:47pm
Hello and welcome!

This has happened to me in every pregnancy. My doc said it's completely normal since we have so much extra blood during pregnancy our hearts have to work harder to pump it, so we get the palpatations from time to time. It is definitely scary!
Photobucket