Low Blood Pressure

iVillage Member
Low Blood Pressure
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 5:38pm

Does anyone else have low blood pressure? Mine has always been on the low side. Normally 90s over 60s. I was just wondering if it can get too low? I seen this thread on another board and most people said that as long as you felt okay there really wasn't a "too low" mark. When I was in the hospital after delivering #2 my BP was 89/47 and the nurse checked it again right away. When it didnt change she asked me if I was feeling okay, which I was, and told me to eat. So after eating it raised to the 90s over 50s and she asked me if I was still feeling okay. I didn't feel like anything was wrong but she seemed concerned. I've had a few fainting spells in my life and I figured the 2 were related but otherwise I'm healthy as a horse. Just wondering if anyone had a definite answer...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:37am

I have low blood pressure too.  I get cold and dizzy easily as well.  My last appointment my midwife said it went up just a smidge, but was still low. it was in the 90/60 range but I can't remember what it was exactly.  I figure it's probably good that it's on the low side so it hopefully won't get too high and develop into pre-eclampsia.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 5:57pm
Funny you mention that because I'm cold natured too. It makes sense now. I'm glad to know it's healthy!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 12:34pm

I have always had lower blood pressure (genetic, my parents do too) and usually it's in the 95/60 range but at my last appointment it was 84/47!  My nurse asked if I usually had lower blood pressure, and I said "yes" , and she didn't seem concerned at all.  I asked her if low blood pressure could ever be a problem and she said that in healthy individuals no, but that I might get dizzy more often (which I do when standing from sitting) and I might feel colder due to circulation (I've always thought I've been colder than most).

So, I think it's ok, but it's still alarming to see it that low.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:36pm
I've had expecting patients with low BP's and as long as they weren't symptomatic the OB had said it was ok. My patient's blood pressure was actually somewhere in the 85/40 range. I was really worried, but the OB said it was acceptable for her if she wasn't symptomatic. I would watch for excessive dizziness or any fainting would definitely be a problem, those would be the most likely symptoms.

Photobucket