Male OBGYN vs female OBGYN

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Male OBGYN vs female OBGYN
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 9:04pm
Hi all I am new here and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on male vs female obgyn's. I've had a female OBGYN for at least 15 years now. I've always made it a point after a male OBGYN wanted to leave me with an unsightly scar following a breast surgery. I thought it was the only way until, luck would have it, I had to switch doctors for insurance reasons. When I told my next OBGYN (who happened to be female) about my prvious ob's plans, she shook her head and said a man would never truly understand a woman's body. Now I am here with my 3rd pregnancy wondering if it's worth it to trek 15 more mins away just so I can go see the woman doctor I know and trust or go to the more conveniently mixed practice I started with a few months back. What are your feelings regarding the gender of your doctor? Tania
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 4:40am

Honestly, I have never even given it a thought. My first two OBGYN's had male doctors in the practice, but I never saw them. I can understand what you're saying about the male doctor, but I guess I'd need to see one before making a good judgement. Either way, if the extra 15 min will make you feel more comfortable, then do it. Good luck with what you decide! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 8:18am

A lot of my doctors are female, like my primary care, but my OBGYN is male, which I guess is kind of weird but I was referred to him by my student health center when I was in college and I have just stuck with him.  He's very kind and compassionate and the birth of my son got a little crazy and long story short, and my husband and I felt like he was on the sane individual who knew what the heck was going on at the hospital.  Regarding scarring, I have C-sections and he always stitches me up afterwards, whereas most OBs in my area use staples.  My best friend who is a doctor was surprised when she heard that, she thought OBs would only stitch up fellow doctors because of how much longer it takes over staples ;-)  But it is completely personal preference on somethingl ike this.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 11:23am
With my first child, I went to a practice with 7 doctors and one of the female doctors delivered my DS. I absolutely loved her. With my second child I went to a solo practice and the OB was a male. He was okay, nothing to write home about but I decided not to go back to him with this pregnancy. My current OB is a male and he is WONDERFUL. He is the best VBAC doctor in my area, according to reviews. At my first appt, he took the time to explain to me why he felt like so many women had c-sections in the first place and he went on to say that if more doctors would let a woman's body do what it was supposed to, meaning let them go into labor on their own, stop inducing, stop rushing the process, use different birthing techniques etc, that there would be a lot more successful vaginal deliveries. He said he allows women to go up to 43 weeks (not much after that because of the risk to the baby). I never thought I'd meet a male doctor like him but he definitely changed my opinion of them!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 12:52pm

I've had both male & female OBs, and my opinion is bedside manner and the willingness to listen to the patient and pay attention to details are more important than gender. Females may possess a so-called more intimate understanding of the way a female's body works simply because they are female, but that doesn't guarantee a male doctor won't make up for that lack of first-hand experience in other ways. I have found that while I have had good female OB's, others have been so colored by their own experiences and what they would do that they have failed to consider that I am not them. And while I've had a couple of male OBs that I didn't like, I've also had a few that I have absolutely loved because they have taken the time to really listen to me, explain their thought processes to me, compromise with me when necessary and able, etc. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 2:38pm
It's just whatever you are comfortable with! I'm definitely more comfortable with female docs...and I feel like they can be more empathatic and understand what things feel like! I've always had a female though, so no first hand experience with the difference.