Pap Smear when pregnant?

iVillage Member
Pap Smear when pregnant?
Fri, 07-20-2012 - 2:48pm

Have any of you received a pap smear when you're pregnant?

I never have...my previous dr's always waited until after I had the baby.  But this one plans to do one on my next visit.  It makes me nervous though....aren't there risks associated with this?  Wouldn't it be better to wait?  I've never had an abnormal one....

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 9:00am
I had one with my previous pregnancy and also my prenatal appointment this week. I think it is pretty regular to make sure all is normal before delivery, etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 11:12am

I'm like you, I had never had one during pregnancy either but I believe I will get one at my next appointment, which was scheduled to be my well-woman visit prior to conceiving.  I was hoping to avoid it because I find them incredibly uncomfortable (I think I just tense up because I don't like them, so then it hurts, and reinforces how much I don't like them and then I tense again... vicious circle).  My doctor does b/w at the beginning of the pregnancy so I think that is how they have tested for STDs, I know they always do the HIV test.  With my DS, I had my well woman right before conceiving but so I had just had a pap but I know I hadn't been in there for 6-9 months before conceiving DD and they waited until after the preganncy to do the pap so who knows.  Their procedures seem to change over time though as the practice evolves.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:01pm
Ok, thanks for the responses everyone! I'm glad to know it seems to be the norm, so it will help me not worry so much next week! I'll be 13 weeks and she's planning to do the pap then.

Heidi, I hate them too! So uncomfortable!!!