What next...

iVillage Member
What next...
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 4:00pm

I feel like I have a black cloud hanging over my head. The other night I was sitting on the couch, FBing on my phone, when I lost the vision in my left eye for about 7-8 min. I couldn't see anything but half of my phone screen. It freaked me out and I went to bed because I thought might have just strained my eyes. Well I've been racking my brain all week thinking of reasons it could have happened. Without any reassurance, I called my doc today. They asked me to come right in. I get there and they basically said they dont think it is pregnancy related but are going to do a 24 urine and more bloodwork to rule out pre-eclampsia anyway. They also referred me to a neurologist next week for an MRI on my brain because they want to rule out a mini stroke. If it's neither of those, I have to get my eyes rechecked, even though my last eye exam was right before this pregnancy. She mentioned it could be Occipital Migraines which can happen in pregnancy and they have the same symptoms as a mini stroke. She said it's very concerning that I would lose my vision and it needs to be checked asap because it doesn't happen without a reason. And if it happens again, I'm supposed to go straight to the hospital. So, I'm on weekly appointments for the next month, with ultrasounds every other week. PLUS, she told me my antibodies got worse but it's not to the level where I would need to have the blood transfusion, so I have to be rechecked for that as well. Needless to say I've cried for the last 2 hours and I'm completely drained at this point. Any P&PTs you ladies have would be great..

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 9:15am

I am sorry this happened to you and wonder if you & I experienced the same thing or not.  On 2 or 3 occasions now I will randomly get a bunch of dots appear in my right eye making it so I can't see out of it.  It even makes me dizzy and of course I get scared.  I called my doctor and she says it could be a tear in my retina and that it sounds like an eye problem, not a medical problem.  She said to go to the eye doctor (which it hasn't happened again so I haven't made a point to go).  So even if you have had an eye check up recently, if you somehow managed to damage an area of your eye since then you would still need to get it examined.  And I have no clue how I could have hurt my eye!

Collyn 9 mo siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 11:32am

I am sorry, I know how upset you must be.  It all seems to be hitting you at once :-(  Just keep in mind everything they are asking you to do is precautionary, so everything is okay, they just want to make sure things stay okay.  Doctors can really do a good job at freaking someone out too, especially good doctors, because again, they want to make sure everything stays okay.  P&PT coming your way!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: abereth
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 11:49am

Hmm... She thought it was just an eye problem? Did you feel dizzy or anything? I wonder if a nerve is being pinched or something..I feel like you would have known it if you had scratched your retina, but I'm not a doctor.. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with yet another issue :(...

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 12:52pm
(((Hugs))) Mandi, I'm sorry you're going through so much right now! That sounds really scary and I would have been really freaked out as well. Hopefully it doesn't happen again and I hope that all the tests come out ok. Hang in there gurlie!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 1:25pm
Thanks ladies. I've continued to do my research, online of course, and I believe what I had was a migraine with aura. When I talked with my mom about it she told me my grandma suffers from them and from what I've read it is hereditary. It can also happen in pregnancy and pretty normal to have your first experiene with it during pregnancy, so it has somewhat put my mind at ease. But I have to say, I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL FEBRUARY!! The worrying won't stop but at least I won't have the added stress of feeling like I'm hurting the baby just by carrying him!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 5:51pm

I suffer from migraines normally but have migraines with aura only while pregnant. Caffeine helps me a lot during one. I don't drink a lot of it regularly so a vanilla iced coffee from McDonalds generally works wonders for me. Of course SO has to go get it because I can't drive while missing half my vision. It's scary but that's what it sounds like you had as well, especially if your mom said that your grandma gets them. I know my mom suffers from them too.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 9:15am
I really hope that you're feeling better and haven't had anymore problems. :-( Keep us posted! And def sending P&PTs your way.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-09-2012 - 6:04pm
Sending P&PTs to you.
Photobucket