Appointment update

iVillage Member
Appointment update
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 3:43pm

Okay, so I don't know whether to start with the good news or the bad...

I had my 18 week appointment and got my blood work back. The baby has Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn(HDN). Basically, my immune system is attacking the baby's blood and killing it's red blood cells. My last child had this as well but it wasn't caught until he was born and it wasn't very severe. He was jaundice but other than that he was healthy. So, I wasn't surprised by the news but I definitely wasn't expecting it. I was never told by my last doctor that any other children I have could have it as well, which I would of took into consideration before getting pregnant this time. I will be getting blood drawn once a month to check to see if it's gotten any worse. Depending on the severity, it will be monitored by ultrasound or the baby will have to have a blood transfusion before it's born or if I can make it to 36 weeks then they will deliver me by c-section. It sucks to know that I may have to have another c-section but of course I will do whatever is best for the baby.

The good news is the heartbeat was good and everything else seems to be on track. I also scheduled my ultrasound for 9/28. :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 6:10pm
I am really hoping it turns out like your other child - jaundice and healthy. I will keep my fingers crossed.

So a) fingers crossed for a healthy baby and b) fingers crossed for some pink news on 9/28! Gonna be stalking you!
Collyn 9 mo siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:38pm
That's scary to think about! It's good though that they know ahead of time and are watching really carefully! I'm sorry that you may need another c/s. I hope everything goes ok....and looking forward to you hopefully posting about being team pink on 9/28!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 5:19pm
That sounds like what I have. They didn't give me a name for it, but said if my numbers change I might be looking at an intrauterine transfusion as well. I have to have my blood drawn once a month also. I will say some prayers that everything stays the same!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 8:25pm
I will pray for you also! It's actually called erythroblastosis fetalis while the baby is still in the womb and once the baby is born it's HDN. But knowing that I have it makes me feel like I'm attacking the baby and there's nothing I can do. It sucks!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 9:22pm
Does that condition have to do with ur antibodies? That's my problem. I'm positive for big c little c and big e little e, or something like that. My dh had to have his drawn too and he has the same antibodies so that puts the baby at a higher risk for anemia. It's so hard, especially because I don't really understand it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 10:10pm
Praying for you and baby. Hoping it will be like your other child, not serious.
Alicia Mom to Logan - Jan 9, 2005 and Colby - Oct 15, 2008
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 10:53am
Heather, more or less yes. I dont have the RH factor, I have the ABO incompatibility. It's so strange because DH and I are both O+ blood types. And unfortunately they dont have anything to give me, like they would if I had the RH factor, so it's just a waiting game. :/

When DS #2 had it, they caught it after he was born because it didn't show up on my blood work like it did this time. He was anemic and jaundice. It took about 4-5 days for the jaundice to go away and he had to be seen once a week by his pediatrician until the anemia was gone. From what I've read, his case seems very mild to what can happen so I'm praying this time is not any worse.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:29am

I missed this yesterday, but I just wanted to tell you that I'll be praying for you and your LO.  I hope it's just a mild case like your DS had.  I would take that as a good sign for this pregnancy as well. 

Can't wait to find out what you're having on 9/28!