NT Scan today

iVillage Member
NT Scan today
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:47am

My NT Scan is scheduled for today at 1:30 and I am kind of nervous!  I feel more nervous this time around than I did when I had this scan done with my daughter.  On the plus side, I get to see the LO via ultrasound again but I guess I am worried since I am 34 now and I was only 30 when I was pregnant with DD.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Anyone else doing any type of screenings? 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 12:16pm
Yay, so glad everything went well!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 6:04pm
Glad to hear everything went well Heidi!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: hrtudy
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:55pm

Got the results and everything is looking good.  My down's risk went from 1:300 to 1:~2,000 and trisomy 13 and 18 went from 1:600 or something to 1:6,000 or something like that.  she gave very specific number but i didn't write them down.  So, that is good.  Now just going to sit back until the anatomy scan at 18 - 20 weeks.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:56pm
Heidi, glad everything came out good on the initial measurement. KUP on the results when you get them. So jealous, I have yet to have an US!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 4:54pm

Also, sorry for your experience with the NT scan.  I hadn't heard bad things about the NT scan, but I've had friends and family that got back a 'positive' on the triple screen alone and they went through an agonizing wait to make sure everything was okay as well.  When I was pregnant with my first, the triple screen was all that was offered then and I turned it down because of the false positive rate.  I can't blame you for skipping the screenings and going straight to the CVS. 

I will say that they say that the NT scan is right 95% of the time, but that is so misleading because all  the scan tells you is if the chances of the baby having an issue or higher or lower but the way they phrase it makes it sound like if they call you and tell you your chances are higher, then there is a 95% probability that the baby has a chromosomal issue which isn't right.  I think they should phrase that better. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 4:48pm

Thanks for all the positive thoughts ladies!  The appointment went well - I won't know the official results for 2-3 days but I know the nuchal fold measurement itself was well within the ideal range so that is a big relief!  It was great to see the baby- it always amazes me the amount of development between weeks 7/8 to week 12 - they go from a blob with a couple of nubs to an actual baby.  So little guy or gal was moving around and moving his/her legs and arms - just amazing.  The heartbeat was 155.  For some reason, even though this is my 3rd and I haven't had any significant issues before, I was just worried about the U/S part today...  I think part of my worry was the heart rate at the viability scan was 126, which was the lowest out of my kiddos and just seemed kind of low to me but this one is going strong!  Definitely ups the excitement factor too!  Baby is about 6 cm crown to rump.  Yay!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 12:56pm

My take on the NT scan ...

IF you get back a less than desirable result do NOT let it freak you out!  With my son I got the scan done, and the triple screening (blood workup) and I about lost it when I got a call back from my OB saying that my results had come back as a 1 in 20 chance of my baby having Downs Syndrome.  It sent me into an emotional meltdown, I was so worried about the little bundle that we had waited so long for, and I stressed about everything.  My doc scheduled me for an early amnio at 14 weeks (she knew I was a worrier & that the added stress of waiting close to a month for a regular amnio wouldn't be good for me).  Waiting for those test results back were some of the longest days of my life!  We paid extra to have the results "fished" which means that you get them back in a couple of days rather than a week to 10.  And when that call came in, it was to say that 100% my son was healthy & without any genetic abnormalities!  I bawled my eyes out in relief!! 

So when I found out I was pregnant this time I opted to skip right past the scanning & screening & go directly to a CVS test (my OB suggested it instead on an amnio this time since it can be done at 11 weeks).  I cannot tell you how much easier this was on me!!  I had the results in 2 days, with, thank God, another clean bill of health (genetics wise anyway) for our baby girl.  Yes, the genetic testing is more invasive than the screening, but for me (I'll be 37 when my daughter is born) the risk was worth it to avoid the toll that stress takes on my body.

My entire point here, is that a high probability rate does NOT mean anything for certain!  Don't let it panic you.  Look at this test as a way to put one problem out of your mind, and if it doesn't come back the way you prayed, there are additional tests that will give you definitive answers.  P&PT being sent your way!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 12:34pm
Ashley, I was afraid for the same reason. I'm terrified of a false positive or something.

Good luck Heidi!! Sending P&PTs!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:41am

Good luck today! I am not getting any testing done. I'm 28, my first two are/were in good shape, and knowing my luck, they would tell me there is something wrong when there really isn't and I'll worry all through the rest of the pregnancy. 

Photobucket
pregnancy
baby
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:28am

Sending P&PTs that it all goes smoothly!